Brooklyn

"Wow. Brooklyn! You're so pretty!" Sophie says, as I step out of the dressing room. "You look like a princess!"

We've been shopping for a few hours. We've hit a toy shop and a cafe, where I had the best coffee I've ever had and she ate a chocolate croissant. When Harrison handed me a credit card and told me to enjoy the day, I admittedly felt a little guilty. I refused it at first, but quickly realized there's really no saying no to this man. That, and he was completely gorgeous in a light grey, well-fitting suit and silver tie, and it took all I had to not lean in and press a kiss on his lips, that I know are so sweet and powerful.

So here we are, standing in a boutique. I never thought I'd do this, let alone enjoy it, but I'm actually having a great time with her.

"You need to buy it," she says, eyes wide.

"Oh, no. I can't. We're just having fun trying things on. I can't actually use your Daddy's card to buy anything for myself," I tell her.

"But he'd love it," she insists. "The shoes, too,"

I could. We're supposed to being going out to dinner tonight and nothing I've brought with me or even own would be nice enough. I know he would tell me to get it, or anything else I want, but I didn't set out to buy a new wardrobe today. Can I let myself do this?

I look in the mirror and smile. This dress is gorgeous, but I can't bring myself to look at the price tag. It's royal blue and strapless and stops above my knees. I'm standing in a pair of expensive blue heels that make my legs look amazing, and there's a blue fascinator on my head that I didn't imagine would look so good.

I close my eyes and imagine the look on Harrison's face if I wear this tonight. I've kept my distance from him to save on drama, as this will all undoubtedly end one day, but after last night, I realize I'm in no rush to get back to the life I was living before I met him. He's spoiling me, and I hate to say it, but I'm letting him because I haven't felt this cared for since before my father passed away.

Last night I was so close to not pushing him away. If he'd have thrown that pizza at me, things could've gotten heated. But we don't have anyone to pretend for here, and the lines could blur so easily if I'd just let them.

I pull off my sunglasses and Sophie walks over to take my hand. She looks up at me with such awe in her eyes it startles me. I tell myself not to think too hard on it and that it's so insane to even entertain the idea that she's the little girl I said goodbye to years ago. But those eyes...it's like I'm looking at a miniature version of myself...and that beauty mark...

"Can I get a fancy hat like that, too, Brooklyn?" she asks, tugging on my hand. I snap out of the terrifying thoughts that were taking over my mind and let out a breath. Back to reality.

"Sure, sweetie. Which one do you like?" I ask, walking her over to the smaller sizes. My eyes bug out as I catch the price tags, but then I remember her father is one of the richest men in Philadelphia and he'd roll his eyes if I even tried to dispute these purchase.

She tries a few on before settling on a pale pink one that looks adorable. In the background a woman, also American, has been smiling from ear to ear.

"She looks just like you, sweetie," she whispers and my stomach drops. So I'm not the only one who sees it. "So cute,"

I smile, then excuse us from the woman so I can go back to the changing room. I make Sophie sit just inside, spun backwards with her eyes closed because I can't just leave her outside in the boutique.

"This is so fun," she says. "I like being with you,"

"I like it, too," I tell her honestly.

"Do you kinda like my Daddy, Brook?" she asks with her eyes squeezed closed.