34) Our School Is Attacked

I tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable and quiet my frustrated mind. I did eventually fall asleep, but was woken up by the loud sound of something hitting the roof and couldn't fall back asleep again. I shrugged off thinking it was just a stray cat, bird, or tree branch. I slipped my flats on and sleepily went downstairs to see if anyone was up. "Hi, what are you watching?" I asked a kid that looked about 9 years old. I'd seen him around before, but we had entirely different classes because of the age gap. 

"A space documentary," he answered. 

"Care if I join you?" The boy smiled and scooted over for me to sit by him. I enjoyed learning about space, but when it came to black holes, I was totally lost and not awake enough to take in such deep information. Thankfully, my stomach started growling so at least I had a good excuse to leave. I entered the kitchen and found Bobby sitting on one of the stools eating ice cream straight out of the tub. 

"It's not what it looks like," he tried to explain. 

"I won't judge as long as you share," I bargained.

"Fair enough," he agreed handing me a spoon. 

"What reasons does a guy have to eat ice cream straight from the tub at two in the morning?" I asked, taking a bit of mint and chip, enjoying the instant melting sensation in my mouth. 

"Me and Rogue," Bobby whined like a kid when they're upset you stole their favorite toy.

"I know what you mean," I said.

"Really? You and Logan have barely started dating! What's gotten between the two of you?"

"It's those weird dreams he has. I tried asking him about, but he got all defensive and wouldn't tell me about it. It was almost as if he knew, but was afraid to tell me," I explained. 

"Man, you were brave even to ask about it! After what he did to Rogue, nobody ever questions him about it except the teachers and Rogue, but Rogue only asks if they get better, not what they're about," Bobby told me. 

"I just don't like it. Where I came from, if you were having trouble with something or someone, you always talked it out with someone you trusted instead of keeping it to yourself. That way, you had a whole group of people who could help you and it made the problem easier to deal with," I said. 

"I totally understand! It makes perfect sense," Bobby agreed. 

"Does nobody sleep around here?" Logan grumpily asked, coming into the kitchen. Bobby and I both glanced at each other.

"Apparently not," I commented testily. Logan sent me look that shut me up and I shoveled more ice cream into my mouth to stop myself from saying anything else. Logan was looking for a drink and Bobby helped him to cool his choice down. The two started talking about Rogue, leaving me out of the conversation entirely. All of a sudden, Logan turned his head and told us to be quiet, trying to figure out what he had heard. I put the ice cream away as quietly as I could, not liking how silent the rest of the school appeared to be. Even though most people were sleeping, there was still a small amount of noise at night, but I couldn't hear a thing. Then all at once, everything erupted into chaos. Men with guns stormed through the kitchen trying to hurt us. Bobby pulled my hand down and we crouched under the counter, shielding our heads and faces, while Logan took care of them. I saw more coming in and sent some ice daggers to their throats. Logan was really mad by the time he took out the last guy. Bobby and I risked peeking over the top of the counter to see if it was safe. 

"Are you guys all right?" he asked. Bobby and I nodded, slowly standing back up.

"We need to get out of here," I said, reaching down to grab a bad guys gun.