What Hurts the Most (Narry)

A/N so this one shot is based on the song What Hurts the Most by Rascal Flatts

What hurts the most

Is being so close

And having so much to say

And watching you walk away

And never knowing

What could’ve been

And not seeing that loving you

Is what I was trying to do

Niall’s POV

I can’t believe I let him walk away. What was I thinking? Why didn’t I just tell him how I feel? I had to freeze up like an idiot. Why couldn’t I just say something? Anything?

“Because you’re an idiot, that’s why,” I groaned to myself. I smacked myself in the head, replaying the previous night in my mind. Harry, one of my best mates, and I, had gone to the bar because he was offered a huge promotion at his job, and he was moving back to London today. His flight left 3 hours ago and I’m here, hating myself for being so stupid. I’ve fancied him since I met him in uni 3 years ago, but I didn’t wanna ruin our friendship, so I never said anything. Then last night…

“Ni, you in there?” I heard Liam’s voice at my door, so I stumbled to my feet and pried it open.

“Sadly, yes. Do you have a gun? Or like, I don’t know, something else you could kill me with?” I asked. He frowned.

“Um, something you wanna talk about, Ni?”

“No. Yes. Maybe. God, why am I so stupid, Liam?” Liam tilted his head in confusion.

“Uh…you really want an answer to that?” he half smiled at me, but I was in no mood to appreciate his joke.  

“I don’t need one. I know I’m stupid. I was born that way, and I’ll die that way. Alone. Without Harry. Because he left. Because I’m an idiot…So you don’t have a gun?” I looked up at Liam hopefully, and he just looked back at me, mouth hanging wide open.

“Um, no I don’t have a gun,” he said slowly. I frowned.

“And what was that about Harry?” he asked. I groaned and pulled on my hair in frustration.

“Ok, so you know how he’s leaving today?” I began, and Liam shook his head.

“Oh, right. Well, last night, me and him, well, he got a promotion, something huge, and so we went to the bar to celebrate, right? Right. So I met him there, like he asked me to, and he seemed really excited, but like, I could tell something was bothering him, y’know?”

***Flashback***

I entered the club and saw Harry sitting at the bar, his head of curls unmistakable, even in the questionable lighting. I made my way over to him, and he leaped to his feet to hug me when I reached him.

“Nialler!” he exclaimed, pulling me in close. I tried not to inhale his cologne, but he just smelled so damn good.

“Hazza!” I yelled right back, and he grinned goofily, pulling away and pushing me onto a stool at the bar.

“Drink up my leprechaun, tonight, we celebrate!” He exclaimed, sliding me a shot as he picked up another. We drank them, and he ordered more. 3 shots later, something occurred to me.