That Night And The Next Morning

Augustus gets down on one knee and presents me my ring. It glistens in the starry night. There is one small diamond on the front of a silver ring band. It's lovely, it's perfect, it's everything I could ever imagine.

"Well? What do you think?" Asks Gus.

"It's... Umm... I... I'm kinda speechless, words can't describe how much I love it." Gus smiles at me and pulls out the ring. He delicately slides the ring onto my ring finger. I lift my hand up closer to my eyes, and slightly move my hand back and forth. I can see all the colors of the rainbow reflected off of my ring.

Eventually, I lift up my head to look at Gus, he is looking at me. I am blushing, I just know I am blushing. Augustus pulls me up from the bench, takes my oxygen tank, and leads me to the car. We jump in and both look at each other at the same time. He smiles, I smile back, then he drives off.

Gus and I arrive home around 11:00. I go to my room and he goes to his. My parents said we could live together if we had separate rooms, so I had to agree. I guess I understand, sorta, kinda.

Gus gives me a kiss on the head.

"Good night Hazel Grace soon-to-be Waters." I laugh at his joke.

"Good night Augustus," I say in reply. We both walk away in different directions. I open the door slowly, and walk through. I hang my bag up on the back of the door. And grab my towel. I head to my bathroom, Gus made me take the master bedroom, which happened to have its own bathroom. Pretty cool, huh?

I finish my shower and go back to the main area of my bedroom. I slide open my drawer and grab my purple pajamas. Purple, ah, purple, my favorite color. I hop into bed and slowly drift off.

My eyes open and I first see the ceiling, then I smell pancakes, mom's pancakes. I snatch my robe from the door and run out of my room.

"Mom?" I say.

"Good morning honey! Thought I would give you and Gus a visit!"

"Oh! That's...aaa...nice." My palms are sweaty. What should I say about the proposal? What if she doesn't give Gus her blessing? Maybe she already did, and thinks he didn't propose yet? My thoughts are all mixed up! Gus walks out of his room in a blue bathrobe

"Good morning Mrs. Lancaster!" Gus says it like it's no surprise that she is here.

"Morning honey!" She kisses him on the cheek and he smiles. AHH! What is going on. I decide just to ask.

"What's going on?" my mom looks at Gus and whispers something. Augustus smiles and nods, then he looks at me.

" You didn't tell her?" I shyly shake my head no.

"Well, she knows because I told her my plan, and that is why she is here this morning." Mom looks at me and smiles. I smile back and we hug.