Chapter 25

"Sadie, let's go!" Blake called out as Miranda stuffed the last suitcase in the back of the overflowing truck and the little girl continued to sit on the porch steps, her head in her hands.

"But Daddy!" She argued and Blake sighed. They had been packing up all day and answering angry questions from a whiny three year old.

"We've been through this. We'll come back next year. In the car. Now." He said a little more forcefully and Sadie huffed over, allowing him to lift her in to the car seat and buckle her in.

The sun was starting to set and they figured driving though the night was the best option, so Sadie was dressed in a pull up, pink leggings and a long sleeve white shirt, comfortable for the car ride.

Blake stuck a pillow behind her head and pulled a blanket over her legs, before making sure the cooler of snacks and drinks was below her feet.

"You want to colour?" He asked when she was all settled in and Sadie frowned.

"My baby," she said and Blake found her doll and accessories in one of the bags, handing them to her so she could undress and re-dress the baby until she inevitably fell asleep.

He leaned in and gave her soft face a kiss, already noticing how tired she looked. They had taken her to the beach that day to try and wear her out so she would sleep, and it seemed to be working.

"You be a good girl, okay?" Blake reaffirmed and Sadie nodded. "When you wake up, we'll get you some breakfast."

Sadie looked straight in to his eyes and pressed her little hands together.

"Donald's?" She asked hopefully, making herself look like an angel with her giant blue eyes and Blake tried not to laugh.

"We'll go to McDonald's if you're a good girl."

He gave her another quick kiss and shut the door, before waiting for Miranda to use the bathroom and lock up. Blake managed to lock the tailgate and tighten the roof-racks, before Miranda came back out and locked the front door of the rental house.

"You ready?" He asked as she walked down the steps in her sweatpants and tank top and Miranda nodded, not looking forward to the long trip home.

"Can you drive?" She asked hopefully and Blake nodded, noticing something was a little off in her body language.

He jumped in the drivers seat, looking over at Miranda as she buckled the seatbelt and planted her feet up on the dashboard. Blake reached over and gave her thigh a quick squeeze.

"You okay?" He asked gently and she nodded, but looked out the window as he started the engine.

When he pulled out of the gravel driveway, Blake raised his voice so Sadie could hear him in the back.

"Say goodbye to the house," he prompted and watched her in the rear-view mirror. She sat up straighter and used her small hand to wave out the window, her voice sad.

"Bye bye house," she said quietly, never putting her waving hand down. "Bye bye beach. Bye bye pool. Bye bye street."

They listened to her say goodbyes to everything in sight until Blake pulled up in front of the real estate, where he jumped out and handed the keys back. He signed a few forms before jumping in the truck and pulling back on to the main road. As they passed all the familiar little stores on the beach-side street, Blake listened to the waving happening behind him, knowing she would tire herself out soon.

"Bye bye dinner shop, bye bye boats, bye bye ice cream."

When Blake pulled on to the highway, he watched the sunset on the horizon and put the radio on low. He could hear his daughter talking to her doll in the backseat, but her voice was soft and she kept pausing to yawn, a clear indication she was on the verge of falling asleep.