Chapter Eighteen

April came and went in the blink of an eye. It was a rough month for Simon and I since Brad had told the entire school we had tried to tattle on them – twice. Tiffany and her group of friends wouldn't even talk to me. Which was fine since they had told Brad lies about me anyway, whether they meant to or not.

It was hard, but Simon and I were taking it day by day. We tried to keep to ourselves and focus on our schoolwork as best we could, just like Mrs. Heidi advised us. At the very least, we knew she might have been on our side and, when the Take Over happened, she and Mr. Warren should know Simon and I had nothing to do with it.

The first day of May had come and that meant there were only three more weeks left before the Take Over happened. I had no idea anything that was going on with the plan. Simon and I were completely in the dark about everything, but I guessed that was a good thing.

I felt a tap on my shoulder while at my locker and when I turned around, Jay was there with a sheepishly smile. I cocked an eyebrow.

"What do you want?" I didn't mean to sound so rude or blunt. It was hard not to be suspicious though.

"Just wanted to say hi," Jay shrugged. "Can I walk you to your next class?"

"No thanks," I slammed my locker shut. "I wouldn't want you to be seen associating with me and get in trouble with Brad."

"Brad isn't in charge of who I talk to or anything I do, Roxie." Jay glared at me.

I sighed. "Sorry." I leaned against the locked clutching my books tightly.

"I wanted to apologize," Jay said turning away. He rubbed the back of his neck before daring to look me in the eye again.

"Apologize?" I was surprised. "Are you quitting the Take Over?"

"No," Jay smirked like it was a ridiculous question. "I know things have been rough for you and it's our senior year. I wasn't expecting to break up with my group of friends until we drifted apart in college or something."

"I thought so too. I never imagined senior year would've turned out this way." I sighed. "I even lost Bella."

"No, you didn't." Jay shook his head. "You only lost Brad. We all feel the same way, Simon was just the only one brave enough to stick by you. That's why I want to apologize. I should have been able to stick up for you too. It's been hard for all of us."

I didn't know what to say to that. Sure, peer pressure and all, but they were all capable of making their own decisions. They were too blind though. They all wanted to be legends with Brad.

"Anyway," Jay broke the awkward silence. "I wanted to make amends with you. I understand if you never talk to me ever again, but I wanted you to know. Bella wishes she stayed on your side, too."

I nodded. "Bella told me that too, but she wanted to be with Darren."

"Darren was going to ask her out anyway." Jay chuckled. "Anyway, I think it was brave of you and Simon to go to Mr. Warren about it... even though it backfired."

I shrugged. "Yeah, well..."

"Brad was furious. He deleted the Facebook page, you know. He decided we're not going to do anything on Monday or Tuesday. He figured if we did a whole week the teachers would get suspicious." Jay explained.

The warning bell rang overhead and Jay and I instinctively started walking to our next classes.

"So we did stop it a little," I said.

Jay nodded. "I guess, but the Take Over is still happening. We're going to have a final meeting about it soon too."

"About what?"

"Honestly," Jay said sincerely, "Brad didn't tell us. He just mentioned wanting to do another meeting."

I nodded though I didn't know what to think of that.

"He's really nervous, Rox," Jay said sternly.

I stopped walking and turned to him.

"You and Simon really scared him. The teachers are going to be on guard and I think the realization of having to run the entire school is getting to him. Between you and me," Jay looked around even though no one was paying attention in the crowded hallway. "I don't think Brad wants to do it anymore."

I raised both my brows in shock.

"I have to get to class. I hope we can still be friends after this." Jay patted my shoulder forcing a smile. Then he turned and walked away leaving me alone in the hall with my thoughts.

*

'So what does that have to do with us?" Simon asked. He leaned against the wall by my bedroom door. I had relayed everything Jay told me at toward the end of the school day.

"I don't know why Jay told me. I don't know if he wants us to do something about it." I shrugged.

"Why do we have to do something about it? We already tried; it's not on us anymore." Simon pushed himself off the wall throwing his arms in the air in frustration.

"I know," I nodded in agreement. "I guess we shouldn't do anything."

"No, we shouldn't."

"It's kind of nice to know we actually got through to Brad though, huh?" I chuckled. I never thought tattling on the teachers would actually spook him.

Simon smirked as well. "Yeah, that's certainly interesting. I guess now we'll just have to sit back and watch it blow up in his face."