Chapter Five

As I got into Brad's car, he threw his arms into the air announcing, "Today is the day!"

I sat down and buckled my seatbelt without saying a word.

"Hello? Are you listening?" Brad waved a hand in my face as he drove away from the curb. He glanced back and forth between me and the road.

I glared at him.

"Tonight is the big meeting after school, remember? It's going to be great!" he beamed.

"Good for you." I rolled my eyes. "I'm not going."

"But you responded yes on the group page. Why are you changing your mind again?" Brad looked at me with concern.

I did reply yes, didn't I?

"I never changed my mind," I replied shaking my head. "I only replied yes because I thought I'd check things out and watch how bad it all goes. Honestly, I can't wait to watch this blow up in your face."

"So... you're not going to come?"

I sighed. "Yes, I'm coming."

Brad silently cheered as he pulled into a parking spot at the school. He leaned over and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"

I pushed him away. "You've never told me and I wouldn't start now."

I jumped out of the car and grabbed my backpack from the back seat. I walked away toward the school leaving Brad alone in the car and I didn't look back.

*

I drove up to the school around 7:45 PM. I wanted to get there early enough so I had a good spot to watch but I didn't want to be seen. Jay had told me I was more than welcome to present with them. I politely declined, especially when Brad had added, "Yeah, it'll look better if my girlfriend is up there with me and the rest of the group."

I locked my car seeing only one other car in the lot. It was Brad's. I walked around to the back of the school. When I turned the corner, Brad, Darren, Jay, and Simon were standing on the football field. A couple lights were turned on making the field glow. They were setting up a microphone, which I assumed their either took out of the auditorium or out of the announcer's box from the field.

I walked closer trying to stay out of sight, but I wanted to hear what they were saying. The conversation was hard to make out though. I could hear Brad loud and clear, but Jay's normal tone was hard to hear and Darren seemed to be whispering for some reason. Simon stood a little away from the group and I wondered if that was by choice or if Brad excluded him.

"Do we have a plan?" I heard Jay ask.

"A plan for what?" Brad shrugged. "I'm going to tell it like it is. You guys stand behind me for support and act like you know what I'm talking about and that you're with me 100-percent."

"We are with you 100-percent." Jay reminded him.

Darren stepped up and said something, but I couldn't hear him.

"I have no idea where she is," Brad replied exasperated.

Were they talking about me?

"Maybe Rox told her not to come and the two of them are getting their nails done as we speak." He snapped.

No, they were talking about Bella.

"I'm guessing Brad is wrong about the nails bit, huh?"

I jumped, turning around to see Simon behind me. I put a hand over my chest and looked back over at the front of the field. I hadn't noticed Simon disappeared. I turned back to face him. "Why do you always have to sneak up on me like that?"