The Blood Pact..

Lila's POV.  

Age 9.

"No! Richard!" my Mother screamed.

"I'm not putting up with this!" he yelled. Our backdoor slammed. I peered my head around the corner. My Mother had collapsed at the kitchen table, her head in her hands.

"Mommy are you alright?" I asked her.

"Go to your room!" she snapped at me. I jumped, not expecting her to yell. I stood still, unsure if I should go and leave her crying. I'd never seen her cry before.  

Suddenly she embraced me in a hug. Why was she crying? I thought. Did Daddy hurt her? 

"Mommy? Did Daddy hit you?" I asked. "No, Lil. He'd never do that," she replied, sniffing a little.

"How about you go practice piano, Lila," she suggested.

"But-" I began to protest.

"Go play," she instructed.

My Father didn't return for two weeks. We he did finally return, my parents had more various fights.

•••###•••One Week Later•••###•••

Zayn waltzed into my room. "Hiya, Lila!" he greeted me.

"Heyie Zaynie?" I sort of asked. He always said 'Hiya Lila' but there wasn't really any greeting that rhymed with Zayn, so I had to make something up. 

He sat himself down on the floor. "I brought monopoly!" he said. I cheered. It was my favorite board game. "I call the dog!" I said.  

"Fine. I'll be the racecar," he replied.  

Some noises came from the kitchen. Oh oh. I prayed to god my parents wouldn't fight while Zayn was here.

"Who is she?!" my Mother yelled. No reply came from my Father. "Who the hell is she?!" I gasped, and covered my ears so I wouldn't hear them anymore. Tears emerged from my eyes. Zayn's face became a blur, but I felt him put his hand on my shoulder. Finally I heard the backdoor slam, signifying that the fight was over. I took my hands of my ears and wiped my tears on my sleeves. Then I heard footsteps. My bedroom door swung open.  

My Mother stood there in the doorway for a moment before saying quietly, "Zayn, you should go." he nodded. He left the gameboard behind. He would come back for it later. My mother closed the door behind him.  

"I have to tell you something," My Mother said carefully. "Your Dad and I, we're..... Getting a divorce," she finished.  

"What?!" I exclaimed. "Don't you love Daddy?!"  

"I do, but......" she trailed off.  

"You promised you'd never get divorced!" I yelled. She flinched. "That was until....." She looked me in the eyes. "It's hard to explain, Lila." 

"You Promised!" I sobbed. 

"You wouldn't understand!" she yelled at me. Tears sprung from her eyes. She got up and left the room. I slammed my door. I went to my closet and pulled my sneakers on. Then I climbed onto my bed and opened the window above it. I climbed out and sat on the roof. 

"Li?" asked a familiar voice. Zayn's head was sticking out the window.  

"What are you doing here?" I asked quietly.  

"I always know when you need me," he said. It was true. We'd known each other forever, and we almost had a pyshic connection. 

He took my hand. We sat there in silence for a long time. Zayn finally spoke. "Let's make a promise," he said. "A blood pact."  

"A blood pact?" I asked.  

"Yeah," he replied. "C'mon." He pulled me back inside my room. I sat on the floor.  

"Do you have a sewing kit?" he asked.  

"In that drawer," I pointed. He took it out, and pried the lid off. He then pulled out a needle. He set my kit on my desk, and sat on the floor with me.  

"Take the needle, and prick your finger like this," he said. He poked his finger with the needle until a drop of blood formed on his finger. My eyes widened. He handed me the needle. "Do the same," he instructed me. I gulped, but did the same. "Now," he continued,"We put our fingers together." we pressed them together, and held them together. "I know your parents are getting divorced," he whispered. I nodded solemly. So we will make a promise," he said. He began his oath:

"I promise to never date someone and especially never get married. I will never have children so I wont disappoint them. And if I do break the oath and get married, I will never, ever, get divorced.".  

I repeated it. Then we took our fingers our fingers apart.

"Now we share blood," said Zayn. I smiled.