Chapter 27: Birthdays

I woke up early enough the next morning that I was downstairs, even before mum. I didn't beat her by much though. The floorboards in the stairs started creaking as she walked down them.

"Oh," she said when she saw me in the kitchen. "Good morning sweetie."

"Morning mum." I handed her a cup of tea, along with one that I made for myself.

"Any plans for today?" She took a sip from the mug as she slid into a chair at the kitchen counter.

"Not yet," I said.

About an hour later, I made my own plans to invite myself over to the Potters, they didn't ever mind. I wanted Laura to come with me but she stayed back and said she would "catch up with me later." I didn't know if I believed that but I went anyway, flooing to Godric's Hollow.

"Hey Rose!" I heard instantly as I appeared in the fireplace. James had been lying down with, surprisingly, a book, on the couch directly across from me.

"Hi," I said. "Are they upstairs?"

He settled the book down on his chest and made a face at me. "What am I not interesting enough for you?"

I could tell he was joking by his smile but I felt bad anyway. "Let's see," I said, taking a seat by his feet and grabbing reaching for his book. He stopped me though and held the book over his head.

"Hey!" I said. "Let me see your book!"

"No" he persisted, holding it too far out of my reach.

"Why, what are you reading? Some crazy romance novel?" I joked.

When he shrugged, I almost thought he was serious. He tossed the book into my lap. "Don't laugh at me, my dad gave me this."

I picked up the book, only to reveal the title, Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches. My jaw dropped open and seemed to stay that way when I read this. I flipped it over, reading the summary on the back, which, unfortunately, was exactly what I though it was. It was a book about how to get a girlfriend.

I turned my head slowly towards James, who had sat up now, and stared at him with wide eyes. "You got this from your dad?" Was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

He nodded. "And he actually got it from your dad, who got it from Uncle George and Uncle Fred. It runs in the family."

"No," I looked back down at the book, and refused to think about my dad as a teenager, reading this very book. "Why are you even reading this?"

James just shrugged and broke eye contact with me, so I just left it at that. I flipped through a few pages of the book. "Chapter One," I started reading out loud. "Do you fancy her?"

James leaned forward to grab the book from my hand before I could read more, but I was faster. I jumped off the couch and started reading the page as loud as I could, and heading upstairs to show Jenny and Lily.

"You might notice something different about this girl-" I ran up the stairs with James trailing close behind me. "She stands out to you in a different way than anyone else you've ever known!" I was laughing as I read.

I reached the upstairs hall and Al's bedroom door opened, his head peaking out of it. I quickly ran in, not surprised to see Jenny sitting on Al's bed. "Look at this," I said, handing her the book.

I sat down next to her, out of breath from running and yelling up the stairs. James just stood in the doorway now, looking like he had given up. He sighed and sat down at Al's desk.

Scorpius, who was still asleep from what I could tell, or was asleep, rolled over from the top bunk, peeking down at us. Al stood by the door, still confused about what was going on. Until Jenny holds up the book to him with her eyes wide, the same expression I must've had.