Chapter 23

*I lied.  I think I might be able to get the rest of the chaps up by tomorrow! Again, i apologize for the spelling mistakes.  I know there are a lot but i am the only one editing this at the moment, so sue me*

Chapter 23

I could only stare, eyes wide, as he pulled me closer.

His arms were a prison, holding me still.  He felt frozen beneath his clothing, and the fingers on my cheeks were so cold it almost burned where they touched me—he was glacial. His breath brushed my frozen cheek whenever he spoke.

“I thought I’d lost you,” he breathed.  “I thought you wouldn’t come back.”

I didn’t know what the hell he was talking about—shit, I didn’t want to know.  But, before I could react, his hands were moving from my jaw, down to my shoulders…to my waist.  I shivered as he pressed me against him.

I didn’t like this.  My entire mind was in a panic of; must run away, must run away.  Bad, bad, bad!

But even I couldn’t ignore a fragile, distant part of me that sighed as those icy fingers fanned out over my hips.  A part of me that still controlled my body as my head tilted back to meet those obsidian eyes.

A part of me that whispered home—even as the rest of me finally panicked.

The overwhelming terror was what finally broke the ghostly hold over my body, I guess.  I felt my fingers clench.  I could feel my heart begin to thump like crazy.  I could finally begin to feel control of my toes—but even that wasn’t enough to save me as the guy leaned down and pressed his mouth against mine. 

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Shock crackled through me like lightning as his icy lips nudged my own.  My mouth opened against my will, and just like that his tongue slipped inside…

All hell broke loose.

Fire danced through me.  Despite the guy’s freezing skin, everywhere he touched me burned.  Like I was on fire. 

My heart stopped beating—I swear it did.  It was all I could do just to keep from passing out then and there, as all the breath left my chest in a whoosh. 

This wasn’t your Grandma’s chaste lip-touch.  It was like being shocked by a random burst of static.  The guy pulled me closer with a growl, and his lips seemed to devour mine. 

It was like he wanted to eat me alive, body and soul.  And a shadowy, hidden part of me, wanted him to. 

He was crushing me, though I didn’t think he realized it.  I was pressed so hard against a cement-like chest that it took everything I had in me just to suck air into my lungs.  Until I couldn’t even do that anymore…

Then, like the delicate shatter of smashing glass, the remaining ghostly hold over my body shattered and I had full control of my limbs again.

“No!”  The shout ripped from my chest, mingling with the hungry kiss.  

My hands flew to his shoulders, and I pushed hard with all my might against his chest—but he was too strong.  For a moment, I feared that my puny strength wouldn’t be enough.

But then, his mouth disentangled from mine with a hoarse gasp. 

“Maryne—”

“Let me go!”  My voice was a frantic shriek, and he released my waist more from shock than anything.