Chapter Twelve

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

The space in between us

Starts to feel like we're worlds apart
Like I'm going crazy
And you say it's raining in your heart
You're telling me nobody's there to dry up the flood
Oh, but that's just crazy
'Cause baby, I told ya I'm here for good

My love's like a star, yeah
You can't always see me
But you know that I'm always there
When you see one shining
Take it as mine and remember I'm always near
If you see a comet, baby, I'm on it
Making my way back home
Just follow the glow, yeah
It won't be long just know that you're not alone

I try to build the walls to keep you safe
When I'm not around
But as soon as I'm away from you
You say they come tumbling down

My Love Is Like A Star, Demi Lovato

Chapter Twelve 

    I was having mixed feelings about Jace. 

    I raked my hands through my tangled curls, feeling frustration built inside me. I didn't know what was going on, nor do I know what he was playing at. I recalled how he had talked to Jordan; tone filled with ice that it made me want to shiver once again. 

   I was sitting in my office, spreadsheets and pie charts laid in front of me. I'd been having trouble concentrating; no matter how many times I read the numbers and words it didn't seemed to go through my head. 

   What was wrong with me? 

 Normally, I would have felt happy and content with what happened with Jace and Jordan. Their relationship no longer exist; they were over. And Jace was being the good Samaritan here. I closed my eyes tightly and opened them again; hoping the unwanted thoughts would go away and leave me in piece. But how many times I tried, it didn't work. 

   Feeling another migraine coming up, I got up from my sitting position and stretched my arms out. I shot a quick glance at my watch to see the time and found out that I had about an hour to pick up Addie and Jesse from Ashley. 

   The thought of my kids brought a smile on my face; they were my own. And I still couldn't believe how lucky I was when I realized I was pregnant with my two wonderful children. But then a thought came to me; Jace was up for a day-out with them tomorrow. I felt a pang of uneasiness. 

  It meant that I had to see him again. The thought of seeing his face once more sent an unfamiliar feeling inside me. I couldn't put my finger on it though, but I sure know that it was something I' have felt before. I couldn't be feeling what I thought I was feeling for him. No, not again. 

  I shook the thought aside; I must be delusional. But a small voice in my head indicated it seemed like Jace was changing for the better. Was it because I was the mother of his children? Could he possibly change? A man whom had hurt me many times that I had lost count already?

  I remembered a few days ago about forgiving and forgetting. That old, wise trick had worked overtime in others but I wondered if it would work for me. Surely, my heart had not been set into stone? Such thought made me cringe; I couldn't afford having such cold heart as it did not leave such thing within the depth of my being. For the sake of my children and for the sake of people who cared about me. 

   *

   The sound of my morning alarm woke me. 

   I hadn't realized that I had fell asleep quickly; I'd just gotten the kids tucked to bed and I felt like I was going to topple over and fall face-flat if I didn't hit the bed soon. My plans for the night was go to bed and read my favorite book. It had been too long since I'd gone without a book on my nightstand. But clearly, every thing was cleared off when my skin felt the soft warm, feeling of my mattress.