Chapter 19

We headed back to our fort, which would make any kid proud, only to be grilled by Taylor.

"Why we're you lookin' at toys?" He asked.

"None of your business, that's why," I retorted and I saw his left eye twitch.

"The little one asked you, didn't she?" John grinned around the pepperoni stick he was eating.

"We figured she'd asked you to." Ethan laughed.

"She asked for some Oreo's so I packed a few boxes for her," John grinned. "Hope that's ok."

Ethan shrugged, "Why not."

"So y'all find what you need?" John asked.

"Think so." I plopped down on one of the futon mattresses.

It was comfier than the cot bed back at the cabin, which was rather sad.

"We we're just discussin' the plan for tomorrow." Taylor sat down on the mattress opposite from me.

"We were talking about that too," I replied. "I think we should still go to Gretna for their police station. Maybe we can get a transmission radio there."

"I was thinkin' the same thing. Maybe start looking for other survivors." John nodded.

"I think we should go back," Ethan added. "Look how much stuff we got. And the police station isn't goin' anywhere."

"But we're only like an hour from Gretna," Taylor pointed out.

Ethan clenched his jaw, frustrated that again he was going to lose out.

"You could take one of the vehicles back," I suggested.

Without hesitation, John quickly retorted, "No, we should stick together."

"I don't like leavin' Chloe," Ethan gritted.

"I understand that son, but we are so close that we can't pass this up," John said calmly. "And we could sure use the ammo, unless you want to make another long trip back to my store."

Ethan glared off into the distance, then got up and walked off. I guess he needed sometime to cool off.

"I'm sure he will come around," John said as we watched him walk away.

"I've been wondering this since we met you at your gun shop. How come your store is called Bobby Joe's Gun Shop when your name is John?" I finally got around to asking.

John chuckled, "Bobby Joe was my father. He started the gun store and when he passed, I took it over after I was in the military."

I nodded, accepting his answer, "So we would be back at the cabin by tomorrow night right?"

"Easily. Gretna is only an hour away, give or take," Taylor answered.

"Might be longer dependin' on if we run into trouble or not," John added. "But if we leave bright and early tomorrow, I don't see why not."

"Do you think there are other survivors out there?" I asked both of them.

John grinned at the thought, "There has to be. We don't have a military for nothin'."

"Then how come we haven't seen any military presence? Not even an armoured vehicle on the interstate?"

"Maybe we just haven't gone far enough. This country is filled with people who were in the military; chances are they're hunkered down waitin' out the storm too."

"Plus we don't even know if this is global or not," Taylor piped up.

"True but I haven't seen any planes in over two months. So even if they are untouched by this plague elsewhere, they sure as hell haven't come to lend a hand," I pointed out.