Chapter 15

Everyone was tense as we fled down the exit ramp, going faster than we probably should have. Ethan handed me a MacDonald's napkin from his glove compartment to clean off my hunting knife before I put it back in its sheath. I rolled down the back window and tossed out the blood matted napkin, happy to be rid of it. I wish I had brought some hand sanitizer or something; it was like I could feel the zombie germs on me. I noticed Taylor looking at me out of the corner of my eye but he didn't say anything even though I could tell that he wanted to. Instead of confronting him I opted to stare out the window as the empty street passed by.

Grime and dirt coated the front of buildings and any vehicles parked on the road. It was amazing how dirty everything could get once it remained stagnant for just a couple of months. Old flyers and trash had gathered in street corners adding to the abandoned look of the city. The straggling infected were roused by the sound of us passing through so naturally they came after us. We were going slowly enough that they were able to bang and grope on the side of the truck as we passed. Ethan picked up speed causing the ones trying to latch on to be propelled backwards and I could see a couple rolling in our dust.

I could see the red Wal-Mart scrawl in the distance but my visual was cut off as Ethan rounded a corner suddenly.

"What the hell are you doing?" Taylor yelled from the back seat.

"You want those things following us all the way there?" Ethan said a bit too loudly back.

Taylor's jaw popped out as he clenched his teeth. We zig-zagged the whole way there and I was starting to get sore from being yanked against the seat belt. I hadn't seen any of the old followers after we rounded that first corner however we kept running into more which lead to more corners and round-abouts.

"Were just picking up more as we lose the old ones," I pointed out and I heard Ethan let out a breath of frustration.

"Maybe get off these main streets and use back alleys," John suggested and pointed to the alley opening a few meters ahead.

Ethan turned down the alley only to slam on the breaks. I went flying forward and the safety feature in the belt kicked in and stopped me from hitting the front seat. I think the belt cutting into my chest hurt more than the back of the seat would have. I looked up to see what had caused him to stop so suddenly. There was a blockade of infected on the narrow tarmac, who all had their attention focused on us. They started to stumble towards us and Ethan hit reverse and we flew back out the alleyway entrance it a squeal of tires.

One of the zombies that had come up to the alley entrance hit the back tailgate and flew backwards and judging from the sound of bones crunching under the tires, I knew it wouldn't be getting back up again. Ethan fled back down another road, avoiding the main artery to the supermarket. Somehow we had end up in a residential area, passing by house after house. Strangely there were not as many infected in the neighbourhoods as I thought there would be. I guess most people opted to go to the shelters than take a chance on their own. Either way, I was glad for it. We had enough on our tail already.

"Alright, I think we've gotten away," John said as he peered in the rear view mirror.

"'Bout damn time," Taylor muttered.

I had to agree, I was getting pretty tired of being yanked around in the back seat.

Ethan nodded and started back towards the Wal-Mart. The houses gave way to businesses as we got out of the residential area and back on the main roads. Taylor pointed out the Chevron station to our right and I guess this would be our first stop on the tour. We hopped out once Ethan pulled up beside the last pump, so we could make an easy get away of need be. He lifted up the nozzle only to have the machine remain dead from no power. He slammed it down in anger and ran his hand through his hair.