Chapter Three: Goodbyes

Maxon

“The female tribute is... Kailenn McKinley!”

Kailenn? Juliette’s cousin?

This girl was going to do horrible in the Games.

I felt so bad for her as I looked over the audience. Her face was pale white, and her eyes were on the verge of tears. Why would such a nice girl have to be put through this misery?

I immediately thought the same for myself. I was always nice to everyone! Except Juliette... But she was wicked. Evil. My eyes landed on her in the crowd, and I saw her watch Kailenn walk by, and it was almost as if I saw a smirk on Juliette’s face.

It sickened me to even think of Juliette. So I tore my eyes away from her and watched Kailenn. She was now being walked next to me, and Annya gave her a hug. Poor, poor Kailenn. That’s probably what everyone was thinking right now. She was so kind to everyone...

How could she even be related to Juliette?

Kailenn was trembling on stage when Annya asked for any volunteers. I expected no one. No matter how innocent this girl was, her friends wouldn’t risk their lives for her. I watched her boyfriend Kyle, Greg’s brother, and knew that if he could, he would volunteer for her. And Kailenn had no sisters, so that rules out the family option.

I couldn’t mask my surprise when someone called out, “I volunteer!” There was a murmur that went through the crowd, and I searched to see who said that. It was...

Juliette?

Was this actually happening? Was that bitch actually giving her life to the Games? No. This was not possible. Juliette is...

I know. Juliette is just plain stupid. She’s looking for attention. That’s the type of person she is. Risking her life just for the publicity of it.

It made me want to throw up.

I watched Kailenn be pushed back to her original spot, her mouth hanging open in awe. Juliette avoided her glance when she walked by, and I could have sworn I saw a tear roll down her cheek. No, it must’ve been a trick of the light.

Juliette refused to have any Peacekeepers manhandle her up to the stage, and she walked up with a certain air to her. It wasn’t proud or a “look at me, I’m so perfect” type of thing. It was almost... sad. As if she’d given up.

But that look was quickly swept away as Annya raised her hand.

“This girl is amazing,” was all Annya said. I had to give her some credit for not acting cheery about it. I watched as almost everyone in the crowd bowed their heads down to her, as if she were some Goddess.

It’s all for the attention! Can’t they see that?

“What’s your name, sweetheart?” Annya asked Juliette.

“Juliette. Juliette McKinley.”Juliette squeaked out in a small voice.

Annya’s eyes widened. “Are you Kailenn’s sister?”

“Cousin.” Juliette sounded as if she was trying to hold tears back. What an act!

“I’m sure Kailenn is very, very appreciative that you volunteered for her, hun. What a brave soul you are...” Annya smiled for a second before addressing the crowd again. I tuned out.

I dared a glance at Juliette. Tears were escaping her eyes, even though I saw she was trying to hold them back. She’s quite a good actress...

Juliette

The past 2 minutes of my life were horrifying. Standing up on stage like that, having to talk even though I was attempting to hold back tears... It was so hard to look at the audience, let alone Annya.