Chapter One: Odds

THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

Warning: There is quite a bit of bad language in this chapter. 

The 76th Hunger Games are here. No one ever thought they’d live to see it. But here we all are, preparing for the Reaping.

It’s been exactly 100 years since the 75th Hunger Games. Things were good for a while, probably for about 60 years. But then things started to get messy, and there were fights between some districts, and the Capitol had some major problems. Citizens of the Districts were never told exactly what happened, we just knew it was really bad.   

So about 15 years ago, things started to go back to their old ways. The Capitol is now higher ranked and above all of the Districts. District 13 has gone back to rubble, at the undoing of the new President, President Wae. Wae is President Snow’s great nephew, and he’s been waiting for the opportunity to jump in, gain power, and take Panem back to the state it was in before.

It’s quite horrible. I am told that the years with President Paylor as President were the best they've seen in a while, though I would not know.

I am Juliette McKinley, 16 years young, and a resident of District 12.

District 12 is perhaps the most famous of all of the Districts, seeing as the famous Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark hailed from here. Their children are still living here, but they’re really old. One of them never had kids, but the other one had one child, and their child is a bit over my age, maybe mid 20s?

I live in the better part of District 12, seeing that my father is the mayor. Not that it makes my life better, as everyone at school thinks.

Quite simply, I hate my life.

Sure, I get pampered quite a bit. But money isn't love. And my mother and father never give me any love, or attention at that.

They simply do their jobs and act as if I don’t exist. I barely see them at all. It really pains me.

When I do see my dad, he looks at me as if I’m a nuisance. My mom, on the other hand, pays much more attention.

She’s always telling me things, like I’m too ugly or too fat. She tells me she wishes she had a better daughter. She tells me I should be more like my cousin, Kailenn, who lives a few doors down.

Kailenn only adds more grief to my heart. She is 18, and quite a snob. She looks at me like I’m a piece of shit, and when she comes over, she acts nice to everyone but me. She sneers at me and insults me, and sometimes, she physically hurts me. I don’t even know how I could be related to her.

For a while, I thought my only escape was school. I was popular because of my father’s status, and had a nice group of friends. But they were never really my friends. Whenever I was gone, they’d talk about me behind my back, calling me fat, ugly, a bitch, a slut. It hurts so much, I can’t even explain it.

So I’ve become a social wallflower. No one talks to me, and I don’t talk to them. Whether at school or at home, I’m never happy.

So because of the hurtful words and actions of others, I hate life, and I hate myself. I practically starve myself because of what my mom says. I cry myself to sleep every night.

If only people could look on the inside, not the outside.

All is not greener on the other side of the fence.

Maxon

I am perfectly fine with my life, even though I live in The Seam. I don’t give a crap about having money and a big house, like that freak Juliette.