Stolen Child

Chapter 10:

"Please don't," she begged me, sweat poured down her face. I laughed again; the monster had taken over the real me. A voice in the back of my head screamed at me to stop, telling me I would regret this. Begging me to put the knife down but the monster ignored it.

"Why?" I hissed, watching her eyes grow wider again. "You still cut me when I was begging you not to, my own mother hated me my whole life. You left me bleeding, dying on the floor. Laughing as you left me behind to die." I snarled, making the voice in the back of my head scream louder. I lowered the knife to her arm, cutting deep, down to her wrist. She screamed out in pain, tears pouring down her face as she yelped.

"Now you know how I felt, being tortured by one of your own family,your own flesh and blood." I said, cutting her other arm. The voice in the back of my head screeched, the real me screeched, but the monster was too strong, silencing the small voice once again. My mother became unconscious, lying in a bleeding mess on the floor. Tears fell down my cheeks but I didn't feel any grief for her dying body. I heard something bang behind me; I instantly flung my body around to see my father getting up off the floor. He saw my mother's limp body, rage flashed behind his eyes.

"What have you DONE!" he screamed the last word as loud as he could, leaping at me. I shoved the knife up to protect me. Feeling it sink into his chest, the voice in the back of my head, finally overpowered the monster and I collapsed on the floor in tears. What had I done? I was no better than them. I had killed them. Vera entered the room, sweeping me up into her arms; a large bag was slung over her back. I felt her start running but I didn't care. I shoved my face into her chest, letting the tears fall freely.

We arrived at another cottage a few hours later. Vera had been running faster than the wind, yet she wasn't tired. I wasn't conscious of anything, my brain had shutdown. I let her carry me into the bedroom, feeling her gently lay me on a bed. The tingles had been alive through my body the whole time I was in her arms, yet I still had no idea of what they meant. I felt my body drifting off to sleep, but willed it to stay awake. I got up, deciding I should ask Vera where we were. Getting up off the bed, I found the door and walked out into an open room. This cottage seemed bigger than the last one. The living area had a large fireplace in the centre of the room, large plush sofas surrounded it and with small coffee tables separating each one. I saw Vera sitting on the far couch, a book in hand. I walked over and flopped down next to her, looking up into her dark green eyes. She raised one eyebrow questionably, her eyes boring into mine.She was trully stunning her skin glowed softly in the firlight and her long dark hair fell across one eye,giving her look of innocence I knew she didnt posses.

"I'm sorry," I whimpered, holding back the tears that were threatening to fall. "What happened to me?" I asked, looking at her expectantly.Hoping she could explain why I had lost all sense and murdered my parents in cold blood.Yes it was true I didnt entirely regret it but it was just not like me to do such a thing.

"I don't know." she replied. "You just flipped; I have never seen anyone do that before. It was like you were you, but not you." I nodded, leaning my head against her shoulder,she smelt of lavander and earth,it was soothing. I don't know how long we sat like that, in silence. Thoughts ran through my brain as I tried to remember what had happened. I remembered the fear in their eyes, my true self taken over by a revenge seeking monster. Screaming at it to stop but my attempts failing,and then their lifeless eyes came into view and I snuggled closer against Vera wanting it all to go away.

"Why did you save me?" I mumbled softly, "I am a monster." Tears ran down my cheeks but I quickly wiped them away, hoping she wouldn't see. Her shoulders had tensed up; her whole body had become stiff. "Please tell me," I begged, hoping I would finally get my answer. I felt her sigh more than heard it, her muscles relaxing slowly.