Admitting to Myself - Chapter Twenty

Abbi woke with a sick feeling in her head.

She was dizzy, and felt more faint then she should have, but overall a mutual tranquility settled over her. Abbi could remember everything Nate had said and done, and yet, she couldn't blame him for it.

Was she, Abigail Worthington, starting to trust the one vampire who destroyed her everything?

Yes, pretty much. Her subconscious voice chimed in.

Lifting her head from the stuffed leather, Abbi felt cold, and uncomfortably wobbly. Upon this thought, she knew it was no longer a bed, but the backseat in a certain Mercedes car, with sleek, jet black interior.

And Nathaniel was no where in sight.

Jeffery turned around from the front seat to give Abbi a worried expression. "Miss Worthington, how are you feeling?" The old man looked to be almost worried, and Abbi wouldn't have any of it.

So instead, she shook her head (a rather terrible idea) and forced a tight smile. "Yes ... just fine. Although, I do have one question; where is Nathaniel?"

He looked to the side, his eyes meeting the faceless mansion belonging to Lucifer; it was the last place in which she had hoped to visit. "He is inside, saying there was some unattended financial issue that he needed to bring up with his grandfather. Mr. Drake will surely be back soon."

Abbi didn't need, or want soon. She wanted now, and now was going to happen a lot faster if she removed herself of this car, and to got to her mother, now.

Abbi did just that - while thoroughly ignoring Jeffery - and moved towards the entrance of the estate.

******

Nathaniel looked down at the dark-red haired woman, who was most likely in her older thirties, with shaking black eyes, and high cheekbones. She was decked out in the appropriate color scheme for Lucifer's party - a black ensemble, that barely covered enough skin, and crude red markings lining her neck. Plastered onto her clothing was what appeared to be thick, heavy paint that scrawled nasty insults about humans.

"P-Please don't d-do this to me ..." She blubbered, her lower lip quivering like in some cartoon. The tears welling up on her lashes finally broke and sprung streams down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry." Nate said, leaning forward carefully. He could hear her stuffy sobs leaking from her mouth in a quiet display of weakness.

"I p-promise, I'll be a good person f-from now on, I swear. You just - you have to let me g-go!" Her crying was becoming a nuisance to him, but that was not the reason Nate stood over her, at this moment. It wasn't the reasoning that he had given up on all hopes of following Vampire Laws, and the only excuse he could give himself was that he needed - to kill her; for Abigail.

And so, Nathaniel found himself in a choice between a doomed fate, or an even more doomed fate.

"I don't have to do anything." He said, before leaning over her as his hands draped at the sides of her shoulders. She whimpered loudly, the sound obnoxious.

Nate was so close to her he could smell the fear pouring from her skin, and regret washed through his being, but it didn't change anything. Tonight's display of emotion from both he and Abigail did nothing but claim the rumors true, and he had to think of her life before this woman's.

"But I would ask for your forgiveness ... my next actions will not be pretty." He muttered, loud enough for only her to hear. Nathaniel ignored the loud slam of the front doors - perhaps they decided to lock him in just in case he might try to bolt - and kept his icy stare, now a bleeding red, to the woman.