On My Leash - Chapter Seventeen

"At last the cold crept up my spine; at last it filled me from foot to head; at last I grew so chill and desolate that all thought and pain and awareness came to a standstill. I wasn't miserable anymore; I wasn't anything at all. I was nothing-- a random configuration of molecules. If my heart still beat I didn't know. I was aware of one thing only; next to the gaping fact called Death, all I knew is nothing, all I did meant nothing, all I felt conveyed nothing. This was no passing thought. It was a gnawing, palpable emptiness more real than the cold."

David James Duncan, The River Why

***

Jeffery pulled the strings tighter as Abbi sucked in a large gasp.

The corset was so tight; squeezing every unmentionable inch of her upper body, but somehow still managing to get even smaller.

"Almost done, Ma'lady." Jeffery assured softly as he gave another tug on the ties. It was almost like she was being dressed for a Victorian party, with the petticoats and this uncomfortable demon constricting against her chest and sides. In fact, Abbi was positive that's what the Vampires were trying to achieve; a remembrance at the old days.

She rolled her eyes and heaved another breath, cursing loudly under her breath.

And then, finally she had been adjusted into a respectable state - even if Abbi was incredibly short of breath.

Jeffery helped her into Reyonna's specially-made dress, zipping it up in the back, and then letting the rest of the waves spill from her hips. It really was a wonderful dress, Abbi allowed, giving it a good twirl before turning to force a grin at the Butler.

"I'm afraid everything is perfect, besides my head." Abbi said, lifting a hand to pull at one of her dark locks, its strands terribly frizzy and unkempt.

"No worries, Miss Worthington, Miss Evangeline has arrived to help with that part of your grooming." A small smile lifted his thin lips before Evie bounded into the bedroom with a slow expression. Speak of the devil.

"Oh joy, he's helped you into your dress," Evie said immediately. "I thought I was going to be the one who had to sit through ten minutes of this drag's complaining." She gestured with her head to Abbi - who was frowning.

"Good to see you too Ev." Abbi mumbled, closing her eyes for a seconds rest.

"Well c'mon, sit down so I can tend to that-that monster covering your face," Evie huffed, a smile threatening her cheeks as she did a quick motion and now stood in front of Abbi. One finger probed the side of her head, while another plucked at a knot of black hair.

She t'sked, then shook her head, making a rain of fiery hair flaunt around her pale face.

"Good Lord Abigail, what happened?"

Abbi shrugged; she really didn't know. It was one of those mornings where you just looked crappy. Abbi had awaken in Nathaniel's arms, only to find her hair mussed, and dark circles smudged under her eyelids. It wasn't like she didn't get plenty of sleep, just that maybe Abbi had a little too much of it. Her dreams had been plagued by the color of Lucifer's eyes.

"Whatever happened in that bed, I don't really care about; nothing will deteriorate the fact that you will be a smash at this ball tonight." Evie smirked, picking up a brush to belong with her bag of makeup. She directed Abigail to be seated at the vanity against the wall; they were in Mercy's old room.

Abbi blushed at the double-meaning. "Nothing more than the usual happened in that bed." She tried.

Evie raised a thin eyebrow. "And what would be, The Usual?" She inquired.