° T H I R T Y - T W O °

"We have to get back," Jungkook whispers. He brushes a strand of hair away from my face.

"What time is it?"

"Almost nine."

It's dark out. When did that happen? I rub my eyes, inhaling the scent of him on my skin on my skin. "I don't want to go."

"They'll be worried," he says, getting up. The look on his face says it's settled in his mind. It's useless to argue. He reaches his hands out and pulls me to my feet.

"Let me try to walk." I start to hobble on one foot.

"The wound was deep. It's not healed up inside." He lifts me and carries me back to the car. I press my head against his shoulder to hide my smile.

His car is only one in the lot. We climb in and drive off, leaving our secret hideaway. We ride back in silence, connected now. There's no reason to speak.

I can only imagine what Irene and Jin and my parents are thinking. Knowing appa, he's combing the beach now for my body. I'd never tell Jungkook what he's like. If I did, he'd never take me anywhere again. When he pulls up to the house, appa is standing guard on the porch, but he's on his best behavior, I can tell. Eomma proabbly shouted out a warning before she let him go out.

"Missed dinner," he says, flatly. He looks at us coolly.

"I'm sorry, appa. I'll eat the leftovers, okay?"

His face relieved, though. I'm back and alive.

"I'm sorry, sir," Jungkook says. "I hope we didn't worry you. It was a beautiful night so we were on the beach."

He leaves it at that. Points for honesty.

Appa nods. He's not about to lecture the lifeguard who saved the life of his only child.

As I walk into the house, I sense something is different. I feel renewed in some way. But how?

° ° ° ° °

It only occurs to me after Jungkook waves from the car and pulls out. And then it's so clear. He didn't help me out of the car this time. He didn't even walk around to help me. At the absolutely same moment I think of that, appa stares at me if he's seen a ghost.

I'm walking perfectly on my own.

"Holy crap," he whispers, under his breath.