CHAPTER ELEVEN.

CHAPTER ELEVEN.
SISTER.

✦✦✦

STEVE HARRINGTON JUMPED when the Byers' back door slammed open. His head whipped to the door to see Hopper and Jonathan carrying an unconscious Lee into the house. His heart only dropped further into his stomach.

The rest of the house went into a state of panic. "What the hell happened?" Dustin shouted.

Hopper huffed as he directed Jonathan to move toward the couch Will had previously laid on. "Whatever Jonathan was going on about her being connected to the monster might be true," Hopper said.

"What?" Steve asked, rushing over to the sofa. His eyes scanned Lee as he crouched to her level. "What do you mean?"

"W-Will freaked out," Jonathan explained. "Well, that thing in Will freaked out. It was yelling to untie it, and then..." He trailed off, with a shuddering breath. "He looked at Lee and recognized her."

"Why did she pass out?" Lucas asked.

Hopper shook his head. "I don't know," he answered. His eyes found Steve's. "But I do know that I'm not letting her anywhere near Will until we get that thing out." Hopper shrugged. "Maybe it's best that's she's out."

Steve widened his eyes. "What?"

"It recognized her, kid," Hopper replied. "Now that it knows she's here, we don't know what it could do."

"So, what? We just leave her on the couch and hit her over the head every time she wakes up?" Dustin asked.

"That's kinda extreme," Max commented.

Hopper pinched the bridge of his nose, moving his gaze from Lee to the floor. "No, you're not going to knock her out, don't be stupid," he muttered. "Just make sure, that when she wakes up, she doesn't move." The chief moved toward the door, waving toward Jonathan. "Your brother's still in the shed, let's go."

Jonathan turned to Steve. "She hit her head pretty hard when she hit the floor," he said, pointing at an already forming bump on her forehead. "There's ice made in the freezer for when she wakes up."

Steve nodded. "Thanks," he said. Jonathan gave him something resembling a smile and went to follow Hopper. Steve couldn't blame him for not being able to muster up a smile. There was way too much going on to worry about niceties.

The door slammed once more, this time to close it. All was quiet in the house as everyone stared at Lee.

"I-Is she okay?" Max asked.

Steve didn't know. He hadn't seen whatever had happened, happen. He'd never dealt with anything like this in his life. He hated the fact that he couldn't get a definite answer about the condition of someone he considered to be his friend.