CHAPTER FIVE.

CHAPTER FIVE.
ELECTRICITY.

✦✦✦

JIM HOPPER WAS often a man of few words. His favorite conversations were short and sweet, most of which ended on a positive note. He appreciated those talks. They gave more closure whomever he was talking to, usually sending them on their way for a while. If he was lucky, Hopper wouldn't have to talk to them again.

However, as he emptied his stomach into a bucket the labs had provided him with, he could think of many colorful things to speak openly about, most of which had curse words that would make his mother turn in her grave. He groaned as he placed his head between his legs, unable to pick which specific emotion he felt. He was angry, he knew that much. He wasn't sure if that anger was directed at himself or that godforsaken 'Upside Down' that had nearly killed him. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't a little curious as to what else was in that place. What was it that had almost killed him? Where there more things like that?

But above all, Hopper was determined. He was determined to kill whatever had gotten him, to learn more about this alternate reality, and to close that thing once and for all.

Anger, curiosity, and determination. He wasn't exactly sure what all of that qualified as, but he knew he didn't want to feel it for too long.

The door behind him screeched as it swung open to reveal Dr. Sam Owens with a rather confused look on his face. "What?" asked Hopper, a single word breaking through a groan.

Owens looked hesitant. "You got one of your, uh, men on the phone," he told him. The police chief raised his brow. "He's very persistent. He keeps calling back."

"How'd he find me?" Hopper asked, moving to stand up.

The doctor shrugged. "No idea," he said, eyes shifting to the phone on the desk beside him. He watched as Hopper steadied himself, shutting his eyes for a moment before he continued to walk toward the desk. "He seemed panicked."

"Aren't we all," Hopper muttered. He picked up the phone before glancing at Owens.

"Line six," he said, nodding once at Hopper before exiting the room. The door slammed shut, screeching again as Hopper was patched into the frantic words of one of his officers.

"Hopper?" The chief replied with a grunt. "Where the hell have you been, man? We've been trying to get a hold of you for hours!" Before Hopper could answer, he continued. "And what are you doing at the labs?"

"Following up on some things," Hopper replied. He heard a scoff on the other end. "What?"

"Nothing."

"Callahan, if you have something to say, say it."

"It's just," Callahan began, "we're worried about you and all you can give us is some vague, bullshit, answer?"