Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Ian was mesmerized by the soft green eyes, the colour of a spring meadow, how they looked back at him with such innocence.   Pale hair, like spun gold sat atop her tiny shoulders, in little ringlets that beckoned to be touched.

"Sir Ian," Nellie called his name, pulling him out of his trance.

"Aye," Ian returned his focus to one of the cottage owners that he was collecting rent for.

Nellie noticed his interest in the child and smiled.   "A bonny lassie, is she no Sir Ian?" Nellie asked of him grinning for Ian could not keep his eyes from the child.

Going down onto his haunches now...."Aye, very bonny lassie she is," Ian said smiling.    "What is your name sweeting?" Ian asked of the child and tapped his finger on the tip of her nose.   She so reminded him of a beautiful lass that he met so long ago.

She looked up at Nellie, her small hand in the older woman's hand, for approval to speak to the stranger.   "Ye remember your manners now," Nellie smiled and ruffled some of her hair.   "Tis one of Laird McKenna's sons, do ye remember what I taught ye lass?"  Nellie said as she knelt down by the child now.

The child nodded shyly, removed her hand from Nellie's and grabbed the hem of her too thin gown.   She made a small curtsey and quickly stood up and hid behind Nellie.   Ian couldn't help but smile at the child's efforts.

"Ye did no tell Sir Ian your name," Nellie said pulling the child around from behind her and pulling her forward.

"Fiona," she whispered out and ran to hide behind Nellie once again.

Not to be deterred, Ian moved a bit so that he could see Fiona.  Taking one of her dirty hands into his, he kissed the top and smiled at her.  "Tis my pleasure to meet ye Fiona, a bonny name indeed for a bonny lass." 

A giggle could be heard from wee Fiona now as Ian and Nellie stood.   "Run along now Fiona, ye may play for a bit before midday meal," Nellie said as they both watched Fiona run around the cottage, the dogs following close behind her.

"Your Grandchild Nellie?" Ian asked of the older woman.

"Nae," Nellie shook her head and looked sad.   "I mind the lassie for her Mama.  She works to support the both of them."

Just hearing that made Ian frown.  "Tis no husband?" Ian inquired, curious about the girl he just saw.  Her gown was very thin, almost threadbare, she didn't have any shoes on her feet, she looked as though she has not bathed in a while either.   The thought of some of the peasants who lived on McKenna land that poor made Ian upset.  He knew his Da wouldn't want it that way.  He charged all the peasants a fair rent for their cottages or the land they farmed.   He was not a greedy Laird and who ever needed help, the McKenna's were always there for them.

"Nae...she is a widow now," Nellie said with another frown.  "The lass, she is better off.   Twas a crude man her husband was, he paid no heed to his wife or bairn.  Twas always in a drunken stupor he was."

"Ye are very kind then Nellie to help the lass out with wee Fiona," Ian told her.

"Aye well Sir Ian, my husband and I, we think of Fiona as our grandchild for we dinna have a bairn of our own," Nellie told him sadly.  "The lassie is delight to have around."

"Well, I best be off then," Ian told Nellie walking over to his stallion that was tethered nearby.  "Two more stops before I heed myself to the castle for midday meal myself."