Chapter 32

"Somebody was here," Televtale commented as he leaned down to examine the multitude of prints that had been left by the mysterious stranger.

"I don't think this was just somebody. I'm beginning to believe this was much more than just one person," Lerendo said.

"Aye, I believe the boy's right. I think we may have just stumbled upon our coven of witches." Sir Ryan looked up at the tree hovering high above him. It stood in the precise middle of the clearing. Round about it had been dug a trench about three feet deep that was now filled to the brim with muddy water.

"They weren't witches, Sir Ryan," Father Thomas interjected hotly.

"They were about to perform human sacrifice before we interjected." He sent a piercing glare toward the Father. "And if I'm not wrong, that wasn't the first time they had attempted the same thing."

"What do you mean, not the first time?" Televtale questioned.

"I believe that the string of recent murders may have been connected to them."

"What string of murders?"

"There was somebody running around killing young boys with an ax," Lerendo answered.

"And, how do you know they were connected to your coven?" Televtale pushed.

"At the scene of the final murder, there was an old woman who came to Father Thomas and me. She seemed to be warning us of something, but she was killed before she could say anything. And, when Thomas went to investigate her home, that was when he was taken. I can only assume that somehow they are all connected in some way."

"What I can't understand is why they were doing it? Why only kill men, and why were all of them young except for father Thomas?" Lerendo asked.

"I don't think they had a choice with me," Father Thomas said. "I had disturbed their secret place. And, for the other question, from what I heard, I don't think they have an extreme fancy for men."

"Should we follow them?" Televtale asked as he looked off into the woods to where the footprints disappeared.

"As we have nowhere left to go, we might as well. Maybe we will see where it leads us." Father Thomas swept himself atop Lady Rose and laid a protective arm around their little orphan. She had remained silent for some time without a single word or noise, but she appeared to like the old priest as she cuddled up into his arms. He smiled and kicked his horse forward.

"Well then, I suppose it's time for another adventure." Lerendo grinned unconvincingly.

"Aye, another adventure," Sir Ryan sighed and followed the young prince into the shadowy bosom of the Forest of Othelio.

For hours they rode until their backs began to hurt and their lids were heavy. The deeper they delved into the forest, the darker it became. Soon, it felt like the dark itself was enveloping them in its cold fingers, but on they went. Soon, the sky began to clear and the moon peaked out from behind the grey clouds.

They had nearly come to the end of their own strength when a barely perceptible sound reached their listening ears. In the gloom of the dark tangled web of the tree branches, a haunting refrain stirred the air around them. It came from ahead of them. Slowly, it grew louder and louder until they could see in the distance, a light beginning to flicker. The light grew steadily brighter.

Then, all at once, the trees dropped off and in the clearing, were buildings of all shapes and sizes. A tall spire ran up into the sky, illuminated by the moon. In the light, it glistened white. One single golden bell was hung in the wooden cage.