Rare Attraction [5]

It was almost the perfect night out. The dark water crashed against one another while the stars winked at me with their dazzling sparkle from above. Music and laughter pervaded throughout the night, making me want to hurry down to the beach - if it wasn't for my grumpy and very paranoid brother.

        Ever since we'd arrived to the party, Alastair had been on edge. His face slackened, his brow furrowed - narrowed eyes quickly darting around, as if he was searching for danger.

        Walking away, I headed towards the steps that lead to the sand, but his hand gripped mine. Begrudgingly taking my hand from his, I rolled my eyes and turned towards him with my arms crossed over my chest.

        "Don't ruin this for me, Alastair," I pleaded.

        "I'm sorry, I just can't get this feeling to go away. That monster could be anywhere," he almost growled. "It could be here, just waiting to get its hand on us. This is the stupidest thing that Mom and Dad have ever suggested."

        "We can't let it control our lives. Besides, there is no way it'll harm us with all of these witches here," I tried to reassure him.

        He shook his head. "Promise me that, if we separate and you see anything out of the ordinary, you'll come to me immediately. Got it?"

        "Fine," I groaned. "Now, can we please go and try to have fun?"

        Without waiting for his response, I proceeded to make my way down to the beach. We descended down the wooden steps and onto the soft sand. Unsurprisingly, many heads turned our way. I forced a smile onto my face while I was mentally doing the complete opposite. However, many of the witches greeted me with a nod or a quiet hello. My racing heart began to calm down due to their friendliness.

        Alastair gently grabbed me by the wrist and tugged me towards a bar that was occupied by only a few people. We sat down on the stools, waiting for the bartender to complete his other tasks.

        "What can I get for you two?" the red headed bartender politely asked us.

        My stressed brother sighed heavily. "Whiskey, please."

        "Yes, sir," he said and turned his attention to me. "And for you?"

        "Just a water." I smiled.

        After receiving our drinks, I turned my attention to Alastair. "You feel better?"

        "Hell no, but hopefully this," he held up his drink, "will help."

        "Well, look at what we have here!" a familiar, deep voice called out from behind us.

        I whirled around in my stool to see the biggest surprise. The very handsome blonde rushed over to me while I just remained totally flabbergasted. As he gathered me into his warm, strong arms, I tried to wrap my brain around the fact that he was here. It had been years since I'd seen him.

        "Brian," I breathed, wrapping my arms around him.

        As I was growing up, there were very few times where I could visit my mother's parents. Whenever I was able to see them, Brian was always there. As a troubled teenager, they had taken him in as their own. He was basically a part of the family.

        We had always been close. When I couldn't visit my grandparents, we found a way to communicate. There were many letters written and long distance phone calls made.