Rare Attraction [4]

Through much persuasion and assurance from Helen, I was convinced to tour the quaint, yet lively town. Even after the talk with my parents, I was still reluctant to be near werewolves. Just the thought of them being able to change anytime they desired caused me to shudder. Despite the fact that I wanted to spend time with my Mom and Helen, I was dreading this outing.

       As our car passed a few walking pedestrians, I quickly studied them for any odd behavior. Much to my relief, they all looked normal. There was a couple pushing a stroller while a group of friends casually joked and laughed. I was expecting long nails, fury bodies, and mouths full of rabid foam. Those Hollywood movies definitely took it's toll on my mind.

       Sensing my distress, Helen turned to look at me with a kind smile. "Let me ask you this. Would a tiny thing like me be with a werewolf if he was murderous and violent?"

       "No...," I answered, looking off into the distance.

       "I'm married to an Alpha, honey. Yes, he's stern and authoritative, but he's also kind and loving. Just because they're werewolves, it doesn't mean that they're scary. That is just a label inspired by movies."

       "I know, I'm just a little on edge with everything that's happened."

       "Everything will get better. I promise."

       Mom parked the car, and I let out a heavy sigh. They eagerly got out while I followed along, anxiety slithering through out my body. Mom hooked her arm into mine before leading me towards the sidewalk that was parallel with the buildings.

       A group of  teenage boys were surrounding one of the buildings that appeared to be a small cafe. They were talking among themselves when they abruptly looked our way. I watched as they sniffed the air while studying us. Their expressions turned to looks of astonishment, and I was immediately uncomfortable.

       As we passed, they noticed Helen with us and gave her a respectful nod. She smiled politely back while we continued to walk on. I dared to look back to find them still staring at us with curiosity.

       I was suddenly pulled into a store, cutting off the intimidating eye contact with the guys. I then realized we were standing in a lovely boutique shop that was full of clothes, jewelry, and other feminine goods. The walls were a deep brown and the wooden floor suited them very well. On a long table stretched out in the middle of the store were extended tree limbs in a vase that were covered with cute little lights. 

       "Welcome to Ruby Ann's Boutique Shop. How are you?" a voice came from the racks of clothes.

       "Mom, I believe you and dad forgot to tell us about the talking racks." I lamely joked, causing both women to giggle.

       A head popped out from the side of the racks and peered over at me with interest. She immediately stood, revealing a beautiful girl that was tall and lanky. Her short brown hair framed her heart shaped face wonderfully. She examined me with her doe-like eyes and came closer.

       "You must be the Cantrell witch that everyone has been talking about," she spoke, her voice leaking with sweetness and fascination.

       "News travels fast," I mumbled quietly to myself.

       "It's a small town. Everyone knows everything," the girl said, reminding me that she was also a werewolf.

       "Laura, this is Catriona." Helen motioned her hand towards my mother before turning her attention to me. "And this is her daughter, Aria. She'll be coming to your school here shortly."