Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The restaurant was packed, unsurprising on a Friday night. It brimmed with urbanites seeking some tie-loosening after the extra demanding work week following the holiday season. The food was authentic Japanese, the bar had a well-stocked collection of wine, liquor and beer, and the music never reached nerve-wracking decibels. It was the perfect watering hole tucked in a side street of the busy Makati business district.

But the first thing that entered Rory’s mind was: Ostentatious place, pretentious crowd.

Smoothing the smirk that automatically creased her upper lip, she scanned the room to locate the staircase leading to the upper floor. She slowly waded through the sea of bodies either in sharp charcoal blazers or glittering, skin-tight skirts. Her second thought was: God, you spend so much on a bag, but I bet you still live with your parents.

The flight up the stairs was slow as well, even though the steps were not crowded. Truth was, Rory felt a tense zing in her footing. She grasped the railing on one hand and her dependable black leather tote on the other, both with unnecessary tightness. Why am I here? I could be safe at home, snuggling in bed with my cat. Oh wait – I don’t even have a cat.

Okay, I’m nervous, Rory admitted to herself as she finally had both feet on the landing, acknowledging the cold, uncomfortable sensation creeping up her spine. And I’ve every reason to be.

Propped on the table a few steps away was a tent card that said “Gobsmacked and Knackered: A Speed Dating Event”. Under the title, in a smaller font, was “Common Ground Events”.

Gobsmacked and knackered. How fitting.

A girl in an emerald green brocade dress stood behind the table. “Rory!” Sarah called excitedly, rushing towards her. “Wasn’t The Gift the best idea ever?”

I’m so killing you for this, Rory thought as their cheeks touched in greeting.

Registered under the name Mastermind in Rory’s phone, Sarah was the one who engineered this stupid, childish scheme called The Gift a few weeks ago, the same one that had brought Rory to this moment.

Instead of giving presents on birthdays or during Christmas, just because they practically had everything they ever wanted in the world, Sarah had proposed that Rory just do one simple task for her. “Sort of like Truth or Dare, without the Truth part,” Sarah had explained breezily.

The one single rule to this was simple: she couldn’t say no. Sarah, of course, would do the same.

Easy, Rory had reasoned. And just as she had shrugged a non-committal yes while sipping the overpriced glass of wine that her best friend had practically shoved into her hand, Sarah blurted out her brilliant idea: speed dating.

Narrowed eyes, flared nostrils, gritted teeth – Sarah ignored them. She explained how this speed dating thing wasn’t meant to pressure Rory into a relationship, but just to “open opportunities”. Rory rolled her eyes at her friend’s penchant for clichés.

“I thought I already had everything?” she deadpanned.

Sarah couldn’t meet her stare, hiding behind her huge wine glass. “You do, you do,” her friend was quick to respond. “But what’s wrong with wanting more, right?”

Rory’s eyebrows instantly shot up. “Sarah, I don’t think – ”

“I already have a working title.” Sarah cleared her throat dramatically. “Gobsmacked and Knackered! The difference between this and other speed dating events is the open bar. That’s why it’s Gobsmacked and Knackered!”