06

special /ˈspɛʃ(ə)l/ better, greater, orotherwisedifferentfromwhatisusual.

____________

Eric. The person who will be assisting you with your robot lives at 544-550 Mowara Road Lane Cove, up in the penthouse. I’ve sent you a map of the particular area and the main road so that you will have a clearer idea of how to get there. He goes by the name Adam Marion, good luck

Peter.

I sighed. Great. This was what I needed. Appealing to the rich.

“Who was that?” Bee slowly rose up from the ground, yawning slightly. Her hair was slightly ruffled in places, shimmering when the sunlight hit it.

“My friend, Peter,” I answered without looking away from the laptop screen. I quickly typed out a thank you to Peter, before clicking through to the attachment on his original email. I came across the map, and hit the ‘print’ button. Simultaneously, the printer started to churn and swallow a blank piece of paper.

“Friend?”

“I’ll explain on the way, Bee. First things first, we have to go meet someone.”

Bee immediately dragged the blanket off her lap and stood up, eyes now fully wide.

“Eric go somewhere?”

We are going together.”

I darted to my bedroom and dug out a warm jacket from my wardrobe. I grabbed another that Bee and I brought today, a blue jacket with a furry hood. It wasn’t too cold, but the day was slowly coming to end, and there was bound to be a slight change in the weather during the evening.

I went back into the living room to see Bee staring at the printer while it spat out the directions to the penthouse. I grabbed it, clothed Bee, and we both stepped outside. I locked the door to the apartment.

“Okay, let’s see what this says… Hmm, according to this, we will have to walk a few blocks straight and turn at the second lights.”

Bee repeated the directions back to me. “Walk a few blocks straight and turn at the second lights.”

I put the keys in my pocket and we proceeded to walk down the pathway.

“That’s right, Bee,” I said.

If I looked close enough, I could almost make out the sun setting in the horizon, the sky streaked with reds and oranges. As we walked, the world steadily grew darker, and the outside lights took over. Bee and I talked throughout the entire trip. She kept asking questions about the sky, and the lights, and the buildings, and the cars passing by. Whatever caught her eye fuelled her need to know. It was tiresome but I wanted to keep her entertained, so I answered them all, one by one.

“Eric,” she looked down from the sky and at me, “What is a friend?”

“A friend is…”

I paused, carefully deciding my words.

“A friend is someone who is always there for you… who listens to you and accepts the person that you are.”

Bee frowned. “Accepts the person that you are… Peter is Eric’s friend, then?”

I nodded. “Yes. Since elementary school, we’ve been in the same class for years. He’s helped me with everything.”

I smiled to myself. “I don’t know what I would be doing now without him.”

Bee seemed to suddenly fall into deep thought. A tiny crease formed between her eyebrows as she stared at her feet. Then, she glanced up at me, her amber eyes wide.