Chapter One

The thoughts bounced around inside my pounding head. This had to be a dream. It just had to. There was no way that I had been chased into a rural forest and then hunted like prey by something non-human. Nope. It must have been a bad dream, time to wake up ... Wake up ... I said WAKE UP ... Oh sheeet. 

The scent of cleaning agents and musty dirt was mixed into the air that I was breathing, my home didn't smell like this. Nowhere I knew of smelled like this. For what seemed like hours I'd been lost inside my own mind, the being possibly beside me - whatever it was - remained close by without making any distinct sounds or efforts to touch me after what I can only guess was a cloth being wiped across my forehead before. Petrified, I didn't know what to do. I had no sense of surroundings and this could be what ends my life if I tried to escape. If I ever got the chance ... Denial of what has seemingly happened is useless, that won't do anything helpful for me except keep me here longer, but I don't exactly want to face my fear and open my eyes. What if the creature is waiting for me to wake up so it can see the fear in my eyes and hear my pleads before it kills me - or worse, after all this world is full of sick people who want nothing more than to witness suffering on all kinds of levels. Bottomline: I was screwed.

The fear and scared thoughts I'd managed to push to the back of my throbbing head were starting to rise in a riot causing me to feel a panic attack coming on, after finally regaining consciousness I didn't need to return to the land of the useless! In that moment I was struggling with my own emotions more than I ever had before, trying to keep my breathing steady and not moving was a serious challenge, all it could take was an accidental twitch or loud breath and the creature somewhere in this room could know I was back awake ... that was one thing I did not need just yet.

"Stay in control. Breathe in ... breathe out." My inner voice instructed me. Hopefully this would buy me some more time to sort my crap out. Oh god, what was I going to do. What was there that I could do?! I was completely and utterly screwed. 

"Girl. I know you're awake. Quit pretending."

Such words from a deep masculine voice when you're in a panicked state doesn't exactly set your mind at ease. My mind goes into hyper-drive once again and floods me with all kinds of fear and alarm. Before I could think about what to do next, something warm and resembling a hand landed on my shoulder shaking me - my eyes snapped open without my permission to lay my sights on this thing that was watching over me.

I wish I could say the creature beside me was a handsome young fellow who was dressed in shining amour, but the reality was far from that. No, instead it was a very unattractive and shabby middle-aged guy who would fit the part of a kidnapper. And possibly more. Oh great. Just perfect. 

I could feel my heart start to pound like a jack-hammer in my chest again, just like the night when I was taken from the forest after my shitty encounter. A familiar sense of cold darkness was creeping over me, and I lost consciousness once again.

Finally the clouds in my minds started to clear and buzzing murmers were starting to make some sense. This creep was still in the room with me and now some other weirdo had joined.

"Do you think she will play the part justice?"

"It all depends I guess ... We know nothing about her except that you claim the Goddess wants her.Goodness knows why though"

"The Goddess Almighty did mark her, its clear to see. Look with your own eyes."

I felt something move the hair off my neck, probably to see this mark that these nutjobs were talking about. As far as I know there was nothing anywhere near that side of my neck, not even any freckles that I'd been born with. 

"There. You see?"

"That is true. I cannot deny the mark is a sign from the Goddess, but why this one? She is weak and doesn't even resemble any of the others. This one should have been left or killed on the spot. Why should she be given to the divine below?"

"It is not my place to say. She was chosen for whatever reason. Come to the main chamber some time tonight if you wish to discuss the traditional rituals for the sacrifical gathering"

From this basic conversation, I figured I was in deep trouble. A goddess? Like really? What drugs were they on. And a mark? Craaaazaaaaay. Shit, they mentioned something about there being others and me being 'given' to someone or something. Far out I must be in crazy town, or was I high on something? I had been in town just before this chain of events happened. I could have just been slipped heavy drugs and still be out to it ... A series of closely related thoughts such as this one had been racing through my brain until the sensation of someone else touching me had come along.

The feeling of cold skin against my neck gave me goosebumps which rippled all over my body. I could even feel the hairs on my arms and legs rise as I fought the instinct to fight whatever it was that was touching me. 

"So you're awake again?" The same deep voice from before said.

Now was my chance, I could either become a tough cookie and fight back or still pretend I was out to it. Here goes nothing ... Words started stumbling out of my mouth before my thoughts had a chance to catch up and process them.

"Yes I am and I want to know where the FUCK I am"

"Bit of a biter ae? You could be fun after all ..." The creep said with a smurk slowly etching its way across his ugly face. This was the type of look that makes your spine shiver and heart grow still - one that could paralyse the bravest of people. I was positive that I had been dragged to Hell and there was no way out now.

"I said WHERE am I?!" My attempt at keeping a controlled and steady voice failed miserably.

"Little girl ... oh, you don't need to know that ... but I wouldn't be asking why I'm here if I were in your situation ... you won't want to know that. Don't worry it shouldn't be too long before ..." His voice trailed off. This guy was 100% creepy and I wouldn't have been at all surprized if he had insects pouring out of his eyes the next time I looked at him. These sorts of people just shouldn't exist anywhere. Not in book or movies and definitely not in real life!