Chapter 8

Orion Pov

I woke up on a hillside to the sound of church bells. I was shaking with cold. My teeth were chattering, my head felt fuzzy and heavy, and just shifting my weight made my stomach lurch.

I was lying on the right side of Artemis on a hill next to a churchyard, and I had no idea how we got here. I saw my car. A wave of dizziness hit me. I rolled gently to one side and puked.

The taste of what I vomited brought back the memory of a woman's mouth on mine, a woman's hands stroking me. Shocked, I tried to form a face to go along with that mouth and those hands, but my head hurt too much to remember any more.

I shook Artemis' shoulder. She didn't open her eyes, but a smile formed on her face. She stretched and turned towards me. "Mornin' Ovie."

"Mornin' Artie," I said with a smile. "We need to go someplace to plan."

"Ok. I'll wake up Jay and we can figure it out in the car."

"M'kay. I'll meet you in the car." She nodded and turned to her other side to shake Jay awake.

I pulled myself to my feet, trying to keep my queasiness under control as I stumbled down the hill toward my car. I turned the key, and the engine roared to life. I flicked the heater on full blast and sat there, basking in the gusts of hot air. My body shuddered with pleasure.

I knew that there was a bottle of Motrin under all the wrappers and discarded books. I just didn't want to move. I leaned my head back and waited for the warmth that was moving through my limbs to relax me and chase away my nausea. Then I saw Jay and Artemis walking my way, and the evening came flooding back with extreme intensity.

Artemis' skin pale and slightly glowing, that intricate tattoo, her strange new magic self stretched out in my car, the music... then waking up on the hillside, tangled memories tripping over one another. What exactly had happened last night?

My stomach clenched as my thoughts sorted themselves out.

Then something hit me. It was a memory, really, Artemis leaning over me whispering, I had all of him. Now I want all of you.

The more that I thought about it, the more I remembered the other parts. A scream of extasy I couldn't place, the sight of some lady bits, and the woman, the woman... was Artemis and...

I shook my head. It was hard to remember the specifics, only that soft mouth and the heat from her body.

Just remembering filled me with a longing so intense it made me sick.

Artemis stumbled into the car and Jay climbed in the back door. I quickly looked at the red digital numbers on the dash it told me that it was nearly the afternoon. Maybe I should forget what happened between Artemis and me so that we could still be friends.

But I didn't want to—I wanted to cling to the memories. It was probably all I would have for a long time.

"Artemis, Where are we going?" She looked at Jay and then back to me.

"I need to go home to change and stuff, Jay was going to walk to his house from mine and then I figured we'd all meet up at the 7-eleven later" Artemis answered.

We drove to Artemis' house in silence. We were a weird little trio and we all knew it.

Artemis POV

I walked over to the kitchen table, and put my head in my hands. I heard my grandmother's light footsteps. I knew I was in for a long speech. It was almost a relief to just let my grandmother yell at me as if everything could be normal again.