Chapter 1

11:52 pm

Scully's POV

        Once I had the letter in my hand, I began to read it. But there was some smudges, making some parts illegible.

To whom this may concern,

     W en I was told to go to the abando ed,

run own apart ent to lo k for what he told us, it took us a w ile, but we f und it. We found the door that holds something extrater          . It is behind the  if      n   door. For anyone who r ads this, do not  pe   this door. If y u do open t e door, go in alone. For your own saf  y.

Sincerely,

        There was no signature. It was almost as if the person didn't want anyone to know who wrote this letter.

        "Mulder, there are, maybe ten apartment buildings that are rundown and abandoned in this same area... How did you know it was this one? Wait, you didn't go to the-"

        "I did. But want to know how I know this is the one?" He said this with the same twinkle in his eye and grin on his face when we first met and he  asked me if I believed in the existence of extraterrestrials when I was first assigned to him.

        I simply raised my hand, gesturing for him to go on, while rolling my eyes, knowing what I got myself into.

        "All the other apartments had a different address than the one that the letter was sent to."

        I look at the letter's envelope, sure enough, there was an address, and I'm assuming it's to the apartment Mulder and I are in right now. I start to laugh. Mulder looks at me quizzically.

        "What's so funny, Scully? Why are you laughing?"

        "Well, the way you asked me if I wanted to know how you know this is the building to be at, you had that look on your face that you usually do when you talk about aliens or something that can't be explained. I didn't realize you just looked at the address."

        "Well I did. I don't understand why you didn't when I first gave you the letter. I mean, we're both FBI agents...  trained to recognize things like this. I thought you were better than this."

        Did he just insult me?

        "Hold on. Maybe if you had given me the letter when you first got it we would have started looking for this door earlier, but no. It's almost midnight now, and I have my grandson's birthday party to go to in the morning! I better be there in time or else you're going to pay."

        "Don't worry, Scully, you'll be there on time, and that's in the past. You have the letter right now, let's just drop the matter and continue looking at the screws..." I stopped him short, there was something I still didn't understand.

        "Mulder, wait, if you knew what the address was from the beginning,  why did you still go to the other apartments? You'd only have to do that if you hadn't checked the address either!!!"

        He turned away, embarrassed.

       "Mulder!!! Some agent you are, making the exact same mistake I made!!"

        "Sorry. Can I have the letter back so we can keep looking at the screw heads to find which door is different?"

        "No! Oops, sorry, no. No, there's something about the smudging, it almost seems deliberate. As if someone had taken the letter and smudged it where it would give something away... Mulder, what does this word look like to you?" I point to the part where it says ' if       n '