Chapter 18

The reaction was almost comical. Katherine’s jaw dropped while angry red splotches bloomed all over Alan Morris’s face. And Steph went cold all over.

“Disown me,” Gabriel repeated forcefully. “Undo me as your son. Burn the records and documents.”

“Gabriel,” Katherine said quietly, “You cannot expect me to agree. I have no complaint against your relationship with Stephanie, but this is just… Too far.”

“No it’s not,” Gabriel disagreed. “I’ve had enough of being in this stinky family.” His beautiful blue eyes were shining. “I don’t suppose you’d know how it feels like to have the person you love inches from you every day knowing you can’t touch her.”

“It’s teenager love, Gabriel,” Alan Morris said. Gabriel whirled on him and was about to say something when Steph came into view, stepping out from behind the staircase.

“No, it’s not,” she said clearly. She never felt as strong as she did now. “Who are you to tell me what love is?”

Alan Morris deflated. His face was etched with weary streaks. “Do you two have any idea how ridiculous you sound?”

Steph took a step closer to Gabriel. Defiance.

Behind Alan, Katherine sighed. “They’re not being ridiculous,” she said softly, giving Steph a faint smile. “It’s just… love.”

Suddenly Steph was so glad she was there.

“That’s it,” Alan Morris said. “Steph, pack your bags. We’re leaving until you nutcases get over this.” He stood up, grabbed Steph’s arm, and started pulling her towards the stairs. Wrenching her arm out of his grip, Steph shook her head. “I’m not following you!”

“You are,” her father said evenly.

Katherine stood up, facing Gabriel. “Gabriel,” she said, loud and clear. “I disown you. From now on… you’re not my son anymore.”

His face lit up, life flooding back into it. It made a startling change from the cold, dulled boy who stood with his shoulders hunched to the buy who stood tall and strong, bursting with eagerness. He turned to Steph and took a step towards her-

“You’re not allowed to touch her!” Alan shouted. “You may not be her son,” –he jerked his head at Katherine- “But you’re still my son!”

“Bullshit!” the three of them roared in unison at him, and then Steph was laughing and crying and crying and laughing all at once, and she flung herself across the room and into Gabriel’s arms, and they were thrown off balance, landing heavily against a wall. They stayed there, Gabriel’s body pressing into hers as he kissed her full on the mouth.

“I love you,” he said, tears leaking out of his eyes.

“I love you too,” Steph whispered back, shutting her eyes against the world. Distantly she could hear scuffles behind them as Katherine tried to keep Alan away from them, and she heard her shout for Dori.

“Don’t worry you guys!” Katherine shouted to them. “I’ll make him disown you too!”

Gabriel chuckled. “Thank you, Mrs. Morris.”

“Sorry,” Steph said. He knew what she meant. She was sorry he had to give up his mother to be with her. “Nonsense,” Gabriel replied under his breath, pressing his lips to hers. “She’ll be my mother-in-law… Someday.” He winked.

Steph smacked him.

In a way, the wedding of Alan Morris to Katherine Dylan, her mother’s death, had been a sweet disaster. A tragedy for her… but she’d gotten Gabriel in the process.