Chapter 8

If Steph had known the meaning of awkward and tense before, she didn’t know the true meaning until now. How do you act around your brother who kissed you?

That incident on the rocks had changed things. The trouble was she didn’t know where that put her now.

Sighing, she slammed her hand on her alarm clock to stop the annoying beeping sound. Today was the day her dad and Katherine would be leaving for Hawaii, off to enjoy the tropical sunshine and sandy beaches while she rotted in her room trying to stay away from her brother. She couldn’t help but feel jealous.

Hearing the thump of luggages below, Steph swung her legs over the edge of the bed, standing up. She’d better go say goodbye. Slipping on something more presentable, she headed downstairs.

Her father was standing on the porch in khakis and flip flops, and a shirt that brought out his potbelly. Mentally making a face of disgust, Steph descended the steps fully which brought Katherine into view, looking like a goddess in comparison. Wearing a light silver top and short jeans- she looked stunning as always.

“Hi! Stephanie!” Katherine walked over to where she was standing on the landing. “We’re gonna go now, so it’s up to you to solve breakfast, lunch and dinner. There’s some money on the shelf so you can take some of that every day to go grab something.” Surprisingly, she gave Steph a light kiss on the cheek. “Gabriel’s somewhere around. Bye! Take care of yourselves.”

“Of- of course,” Steph stuttered, and watched as her father gave a formal nod in her direction and both of them got into a waiting car. The luggage had disappeared, presumably into the boot.

The car drove off.

Through the gates, past the premises. Now, her time with Gabriel alone officially started. Swallowing, Steph turned to face the seemingly empty house.

“Gabriel?” she called out. “Gabriel?”

There was a thump upstairs and the top of a shoe became visible at the top stair. “Yeah?” His voice floated down.

“Um, dad and mom have gone and they didn’t leave breakfast. So- uh, I think I’m going out to buy some… stuff.” That. Came. Out. Wrong. Flushing bright red, Steph did her best to complete the sentence. “Do you want some? Breakfast, I mean.”

Coming down the stairs wearing jeans and a blue shirt, Gabriel took one look at her and turned away. The words “you’re my sister” floated through her brain again.

“That’s fine. I’m going out to town and I’ll be back late. Enjoy yourself. Take the Mercedes.” Tossing her a set of keys, he disappeared through the door, quick as a flash.

Standing there holding the keys and looking dumbfounded, Steph stared after Gabriel. There was something off about him today, she decided. He was too calm. Too confident.

She’d seen behavior like this before. Right before her mom went to the pub and was actually sober, she’d acted like this. But, that was ridiculous. Gabriel didn’t drink. He was too good for that, too pure and responsible. It was crazy to imagine him drinking.

Shrugging it off, Steph grabbed a few dollars off the shelf and left the house, locking the door behind her. The house looked uncharacteristically big and empty and silent.

Driving off in the Mercedes she headed to the diner not too far away to get brunch.

*

“And tonight’s celebrity is… Katy Perry!” Slouching on the couch, Steph’s eyes followed as Katy Perry, decked in an outrageous outfit, sauntered confidently across the stage to screams from the audience. After catching sight of two hyperventilating girls, Steph decided she’d had enough and switched the TV off. Yawning and stretching on the couch, she allowed her eyes to drift shut just for a second.