Chapter Thirteen

The car ride felt less tense after that and thankfully, Eli and Dan kept Kennedy occupied.

She had been colouring in some flowers that she had drew, when the sound of her stomach rumbling echoed throughout the car since we never got to eat our lunch at the café.

Within a mile or two, Gabriel spotted a McDonalds, pulling into their parking lot. Dan jumped out first after unbuckling Kennedy's seat belt as she followed him. She leaned at the end of the seat, her arms reaching out to Gabriel, who now stood in front of her, next to the door.

I see him look to me for permission, I agreed not wanting to disrespect or ruin a potential relationship between father and daughter. I couldn't allow my feelings to reflect onto Kennedy's, she had her own mind and should be allowed to figure it out on her own.

Gabriel held his hands out before tucking her onto his hips, Kennedy's arms wrapped around his neck as Gabriel shut the door behind him.

I followed closely behind, watching on as Kennedy leaned her head into his neck, clearly tired and exhausted from today's events.

She soon began gushing about her favourite teddy bear to Gabriel. With him intently listening ensuring that he intakes every word she had said.

It was a strange feeling, like being stuck in limbo. It was frightening yet complex, heart-breaking yet intriguing, it wasn't something you could ever explain. A mate connection was nothing but vigorous, I wanted to hate him, but I couldn't.

It wouldn't allow me too, but it did allow me to feel betrayal, to still feel the same overwhelming feeling of sadness that I felt the day he rejected me. It wasn't something I was willing to forgive so easily.

I had always told myself that if this situation ever arises, I wouldn't object to them having a father and daughter relationship, I couldn't hurt my child that way. His rejection was for me, not for her.

I shook my head, following them through the restaurant as we headed towards the counter. Gabriel had already asked Kennedy what she wanted before turning to me with the same question.

I simply replied no, not wanting anything to eat. My appetite no longer there, but he returned a frown before ordering me a cheeseburger and fries.

He pulled his wallet out of his jeans, handing the money over to the human girl serving him at the cash register. I observed as she stared fiercely at Gabriel trying to capture his attention by flashing him a flirty smile while batting her eyelashes at him.

Gabriel paid her no attention, only focused on listening to Kennedy gushing on about god knows what. The girl soon realised that I was watching her with an amused smiled on my face, causing her to change her demeanour to an unfriendly one, shooting me daggers.

I scrunch up my face at her, my own attitude coming to light as I raised my eyebrows. Gabriel quickly catches on and frowns at the server, only for her to batter her eyelashes at him once again, until Kennedy realises what she is doing.

"Have you got something in your eye? Because you look really weird doing that." Kennedy comments out loud, her tone completely serious while curious. I couldn't stop myself from laughing as Gabriel smirked. The girl's cheeks become bright red from embarrassment and quickly hands us our food before calling the next customer over.

I grabbed onto our tray, walking towards the guys who were already occupying two booths. I sat down on one end, Kennedy in-between Gabriel and I as we all ate.

Kennedy was dipping her nuggets into ketchup when she suddenly spoke up, whispering not so quietly in my ear. "Dan reminds me of hulk mommy, I just need to colour him in with a green pen."