Chapter Five

My eyes fluttered open, my head pounding from the amount of alcohol I had drunk last night. The room still pitch black, a slight gap between the curtains proving it was still night-time.

A thin blanket was scattered over me, goose bumps erupting against my skin due to the lack of clothing on my body. I shivered a little from the coldness that swept my arms and legs.

I groaned from the headache that caused my eyes to be heavy, it was as if I had been trampled on by a herd of elephants. When my eyes finally realised that I wasn't in my own room, I looked around.

My conscience and the memories of last night creeping up on me, reminding me of the events that happened.

Laid besides me was my mate, he was lying flat on his stomach, his back muscles prominent yet relaxed as he slept, a small smile gracing his features.

I smiled, unable to stop the butterflies that filled my belly. Last night was unexpected but I held no regrets, we were mates and although we had mated, we had not fully sealed our relationship with marking one another.

I didn't think too much into it, I wasn't in a rush to be mated fully. With Gabriel being an Alpha, it meant I would become his Luna and that was a huge responsibility. We would both have control and authority over a large territory along with the duty and power of protecting a pack.

Gabriel unexpectedly shuffled a little, stirring in his sleep, manoeuvring himself into a more comfortable position. I froze for a moment not wanting to wake him up.

After a while, I moved myself closer to him as quietly as I could, my body shifting next to his, my eyes closing as I yawned. He unconsciously pulled me closer, tightening his strong arms around me, his body warmth and touch making me fall back to sleep.

It wasn't until a few hours later that I felt a shuffle on the bed, it dipped slightly as Gabriel stood up, I didn't take any notice and closed my eyes again but when I started hearing him move around, I sat up.

My attention was completely focussed on him, he had started to pull up his jeans and threw on his t-shirt. His demeanour made me pull the comforter over my naked body, covering myself. Feeling insecure and conscious.

"Where are you going?" I questioned, panic and uncertainty laced in my voice. My expression utterly confused and alarmed at his cold and distant behaviour.

His eyes never met mine and he didn't utter a single word as he stepped out of the room, leaving me feeling distraught and on edge.

I pulled the comforter back, reaching down to grab my clothes, throwing on my dress as I clutched my shoes in my hand, racing down the stairs, following his lingering scent.

I had just managed to catch up to him, he was walking towards his car, only a few feet away from the door.

"Where are you going?" I repeated, reaching out for his hand. Our touch igniting the tingles that flowed up my fingers and into my arms, confirming our mate bond.

He stopped and turned to face me, his face stone cold and full of regret. My chest began to constrict, my heart palpitating painfully from apprehension. I already knew what he was going to say and do before he opened his mouth.

I swallowed the large lump in my throat, my eyes close to watering but I held it in.

"I'm leaving." He grunted, his voice void of emotion. He pulled my hand from his, backing away as he continued walking to his car.

"Why, I don't understand." I whispered faintly, dread consuming me. "We're mates Gabriel."

He stopped as he reached his car, his hands on the door handle, spinning round to face me. "I never expected to meet you so soon. I never imagined myself with my mate and I never wanted one."