Independence Day

(Sent on July 3rd, Wednesday, 10:43 pm, Llanishen Street)

To: prisoner24601@mpu.edu.ph

From: jerusha.abad@gmail.com

Dear Zorro,

I am writing to tell you that I have successfully submitted a draft and Monica was quite pleased with it. Now I'm writing my next chapters, so I could set it aside for a few weeks in August before I edit it. At least, that's what Monica and Nick advised me to do because it is hard to be objective about one's drafts when one sees it too often.

I also have some wonderful news. Remember that paper that I mentioned I was going to send to an international new media conference later this year? It has been accepted for presentation!

Imagine: my first international conference. What's more, I won a graduate student travel award that will help fund my trip, so I don't have to worry a thing about funds.

I really have to prepare for it. There is so much to do, and it's wonderful! The JobShop has been giving me a lot of jobs lately too. Sadly, I had to refuse a lot of them so I could write. Working is great, but my dissertation and my conference presentations take precedence. At least all of this is enough to keep me busy and not think too much about certain things.

Julia came with me to church last Sunday, and the message spoke to both of us. She has been crying a lot these days, and seeing a therapist. I think this is good for her.

The text was taken from Hosea 1-3. The story is about Hosea, a faithful husband, and his unfaithful wife, Gomer. Though Hosea loves her, Gomer chose to prostitute herself and seek love in other men. Pastor Hughes talked about how this masochistic love story parallels Israel's relationship with God during Hosea's time, and alternatively, how we as ordinary people sometimes look for love in the wrong places, never realizing that God is waiting for us all along. Eventually, Gomer sinks to her lowest when she becomes a slave, but Hosea buys her back and chooses to take her back as his wife. That is true love, and one that God also shows us when he sent His son to pay the price for us.

By the end of the sermon, Julia was crying. I guess at the end of the day, no matter how much we try to find love, nothing can be as powerful as the love that God demonstrates. At least, that was how Steph clarified it to me as we walked back home.

I wonder how that relates to me and my perpetual singleness. Sometimes I wonder if God does want me to be single forever, and if that is so, will I just be content in His love?

But this is not about me. At least Julia looks okay now. That's what matters.

Yours,

Judy

(Sent on July 4th, Thursday, 9:22 am, Salcedo Village)

To: jerusha.abad@gmail.com

From: victoria.barnes@international-ed.com.ph

Dear Ms. Abad,

Mr. Dela Vega is concerned that you accepting the award may affect the chances of other students traveling. Rest assured that he will be able to provide the travel funds necessary, and he advises you to give up the travel award.

Furthermore, he is also concerned that working with Dr. Callahan might affect your studies, and wishes that you refuse any further contracts that she may give.

Sincerely,

Victoria Barnes

Associate