Salads, Castles and Boys

(Sent on Oct 5th, Friday, 7:15 pm, Howell Hall)

To: prisoner24601@mpu.edu.ph

From: jerusha.abad@gmail.com

Dear Zorro,

This week, our class has been reading forgotten 19th century bestsellers. Reading through Prof. Duncan's list really debunks the myths perpetuated by my old professors at our beloved alma mater that Jane Austen, the Brontes and George Eliot were the only female writers of the time.

My favorite so far is Mary Brunton's Self-Control. The others may have found it preachy, but I was thoroughly entertained. It is about a young woman who is being stalked by a handsome rich but cruel man. When this man gets refused, he wouldn't take no for an answer. I love Laura, the novel's independent heroine, who at one point decides to seek work at a time when working women were frowned upon. The message of the books is definitely "No means No," and that women should not expect the men they like to change. The novel clearly goes against the novels that hint that "the reformed rake is the best husband." Really, how often does that happen in real life?

What I like about nineteenth century popular fiction is that they addressed social problems—particularly the woman question. Some of them actually have ludicrous plots like Charlotte Dacre's Zofloya where bandits and long lost brothers can appear out of nowhere. These are the types of plots that are so bad, that they are so good. I don't think some of them even take themselves seriously, and in that way they can be very subversive. Somehow, I wish popular Filipino writers would talk a little bit about politics. Even Dickens managed to discuss the 1834 Poor Law in Oliver Twist. I wish more of our writers would reflect more on the issues that plague our society, instead of merely selling cheap thrills or kilig like opium or rugby to the masses? When writers forget to discuss about our culture of corruption, poverty, problems in our education system and all other social evils, they unwittingly participate in a problematic cultural capital that keep us all in our place, and ensure that these problems will continue for generations to come.

Anyway, you never answered any of the questions on my previous letter. It was very important, lest I develop unhealthy fantasies of you.

I'll give you an easier question this time: Which Zorro are you most like?

Are you most like:

1. Douglas Fairbanks

2. Tyrone Power

3. Alain Delon

4. Kaikatsu Zorro

5. Antonio Banderas

6. Or (gulp!) Richard Gutierrez.

Note: I have no issues against Richard Gutierez personally, but the Filipino Zorro's script was really trying too hard.

I'm sure there are many others. You see, I love old movies.

You can always ask Victoria to send me an email that says something like:

Mr. De la Vega is most like Alain Delon.

Or

Mr. De la Vega is not a gangster.

I really miss our awkward conversations with Victoria.

Tomorrow all my Filipino friends and I are going on a bus trip to Warwick Castle. And yes, Julia's coming.

Must rest now.

Judy

PS. I wonder why I had to mention that Julia's coming. Hmmm.