Chapter 1 - Live and Repeat

Notes:
- Contains swearing
- 2449 Words

Setting:Underfell 
Trigger Warnings: //
__________________

A small groan escaped the small skeletons throat as he woke, stretching his legs and arms as he uncurled from the corner he had slept in. His eye sockets slowly opening, Sans glanced around the room, a yawn escaping him. The living room was dark, so he had woken up in time. He looked at the calendar visible through the open kitchen door.
20th June 201X.
Sans sighed and could feel his soul skip a beat momentarily. It had been a year, 6 months, 3 weeks and 3 days since the last reset. He didn't have too long left until the next one. The last human always fell on the 24th June, 201X - and for some reason, it was when they fell, that the timeline reset back to 1st January, 200X. Sans knew they had something to do with it and had already started to prepare for when they fell. Maybe he could capture them this time, kill them for good and find out what they had to do with the resets. 
Shaking his head, Sans stood up, leaning against the couch to steady himself. He slept in the living room corner by the stairs, slumped against the table. His old room upstairs had been transformed into Papyrus' interrogation room, and the shed outside was used for storage. Looking up at the clock, he couldn't help but chuckle to himself. Just on time, exactly the same as the last few times. He remembered the resets so thoroughly that the timing of each one was down to the T in his mind. Although he didn't remember his own routine, he had memorized the timing of everything else during the last few days he had left of the timeline - and followed the routine of that instead.

20th June 201X
- Sans woke up at 5:29 am.
- 34 seconds after Sans woke, Papyrus would wake up and trip over the annoying dog that had gotten in and slept in the middle of his floor, making a loud bang followed by yelling at the dog.
- At 5:30 am, the dog would run downstairs and jump through the window that Sans opened for it.
- Papyrus would come downstairs at 5:40 am and eat breakfast that Sans had cooked.
- 5:45 am was when Undyne would call Papyrus, instructing him that he had to be at training by 6:00 am.
- 5:50 am, Papyrus would leave to go to Undyne's.
- 5:59 am Sans would go out on patrol, fighting only one monster.

There was more to his schedule, but Sans decided it best to focus on the first hour before worrying about the rest of his day. Sans looked at the clock above the TV, the loud bang coming from Papyrus' room echoing through the house just as predicted. Smirking to himself, he leaned over the couch and opened the window before going to the kitchen to start cooking breakfast. 
Hearing small, quick footsteps down the stairs alerted Sans that the dog had once more escaped, and the small yip followed by a padded thump let him know the dog had also gotten outside. Abandoning the stove for a moment, he closed the window and resumed breakfast. Serving it on the table, he glanced at the clock. 5:40 am. Rushing to the corner, he stood still, waiting for his brother, his arms by his side and his hands shoved into the warmth of his black hoodie pockets. His brother soon emerged from his room and thumped down the stairs, his red combat boots carrying his weight. The taller skeleton simply stared at Sans from the bottom of the stairs but did not sit at the table to eat. Sans stopped, this wasn't as it usually went. This was different.

"You okay, Boss?" Sans questioned. Papyrus simply grunted in response. "What's up?" Sans tried.
"Undyne and Asgore called" Papyrus stated. Sans frowned, this was very different - Undyne always called at 5:45 am, not before that. And since when did the Ruler of the underground make calls?
"What did they say?" Sans tried.
"Is that your business?"
"Sorry, Boss. You just seemed rattled." 
"Sit down, Sans" Papyrus ordered. Sans stopped for a moment, unsure of how to respond - so he chose to sit neatly on the sofa before speaking.
"What's wrong, Boss?"
"It's the last human - the 7th to fall" Papyrus admitted. "They came through the ruins' doors not too long ago according to Alphys' cameras. I'm under the impression to kill on sight by Undyne, However, Asgore has ordered me to simply capture them alive and transport them to Muffet so she can remove the soul and give it to Alphys to analyse. I have to do as the ruler says. So, even though you are simply a sentry, Sans, do NOT kill this human."
"What?! But Papyrus-"
"NO arguments! If you kill this human I will dust you on sight, understand?" Papyrus growled. Sans quickly stopped, the silence consuming him.
"Understand?"  Papyrus repeated, his voice as sharp as a razor blade sharp.
"Y..yes, Boss" Sans answered quietly.