Chapter One

Well, I've finally posted the second chapter of the rewrite... after an entire year. I apologise. If you've read the original, you'll instantly notice the things I've changed. Please let me know if I've made any grammatical errors.

____________________________________________________________

Anyone who has change schools mid-term would understand how daunting the first day at a new school can be. For someone who has been homeschooled since the age of ten, the thought of starting school mid-term was mortifying. I was almost frozen in fear at the thought of going. I hadn't understood why Lara felt the need to make my parents enroll me into school. I'd been perfectly happy being homeschooled. Mum's job was teaching me and I was fine with that. Homeschooling worked for me. According to Lara, it was doing me more harm than good.

Mum and Dad had agreed with a second thought, which had gotten me into my current situation.

"Jackson Harris!" Mum scolded as she stood at the front door, handbag slung over her shoulder as she glared. "If you aren't out this door within the next two minutes, you'll find your room looking unnaturally bare after I throw out your books."

"You wouldn't!" I cried out in horror, arms still clasped around the rails of the stairs.

"Don't think I won't, Jack. I mean it, you're going to school. Your father and I never should have taken you out of school in the first place. Who knows what damaged we've done for your recovery. You need to be around people your own age, and... and..." My mother had fallen silent at that, and immediately, I felt guilt bubble up. My anxiety wasn't only hard on me. I knew that my parents were suffering as well. I figured I was only making things worse, by refusing to go.

No, I knew I was making things worse, and still I refused to go to school, and even threw a tantrum.

After a few minutes of silence, I unhooked my arms, and stood up, my father's hands falling from my arms as he stepped aside, swapping a concerned look at my mother. I said nothing as I wiped the palm of my hand at my eye, and picked up my school bag.

"Sorry," I mumbled as I shuffled over to my mother. "Don't get upset. I'll go."

My mother pressed her lips to my forehead and reached down to give my hand a squeeze. "I know it's hard, sweetheart but this will be so good for you. You know that. And besides. It-It's only a trial, I promise."

I gave a small nod and walked past her, and to the car not saying a word. I was still upset with her. If I was anyone else, I would have said I hated her, but I didn't. How could I? She was only doing what was best for me, and I knew that. The ride to school, was silent.

________________________________

Pulling up to the school gates, I froze. One step out of the car, and there would be no turning back. Mum would make sure of it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her looking at me, worried. Of course she was worried. I knew she'd prefer to have me homeschooled, but she was also convinced that I'd do better surrounded by people my own age. Perhaps she was right and I was over reacting. Then again, she could be dead wrong and I'd have a terrible experience, but there was no getting out of it now. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I reached down to clench the strap to my school bag, knuckles turning white at the pressure and looked at my mother, almost pleadingly. "Mu-"

"Get out of the car, Jack." Mum cut in sternly.  "I mean it. I can go to the office with you, but that's it."

I squeezed my eyes tightly for a moment, trying to push down the fear that threatened to overtake me, and let out a small sigh, throwing the door open. "I-It's alright. I'll go by myself."