I'm Not Afraid Of You

Chapter 2: I'm Not Afraid Of You

A few hours had passed since I was with Loki. I couldn’t stop thinking about him, and I couldn’t stop hearing his voice in my mind. “I will find you, and I will have you. You belong to me, Adriana….” I paced back and forth in my room, debating whether or not to tell Fury about what had happened. Maybe he would be able to help keep Loki away from me? But to ask him to do that would be to confess that I had deliberately disobeyed him. I didn’t want to lose his trust.

I fell on my bed and buried my face in my hands. I never should have gone to talk to Loki. That was my first mistake. My second, was going into that cage and letting him touch me. I shivered as I remembered it. His hands were cold when he touched my cheek…and when he held me close to him, his entire body felt like ice, even with all of the Asgardian clothing and armor he wore.

As I lost myself in these thoughts, an alarm suddenly sounded throughout the ship. I jumped up quickly and pulled open my door to see agents running frantically throughout the halls. I watched as Captain Rogers and Tony Stark ran by, looking worried. Over my headset, I heard Nick Fury’s voice, “We’ve been hit, we lost engine three. Agents to your stations, now!” I ran from my room and turned down the hallway, in the opposite direction of everybody else. They probably thought he was secure…but I knew him better. I ran to Loki’s cell, only to find that he was just standing there, leaning against the glass as if nothing was going on.

He looked up when I ran in and smiled at me. “My love, you’ve returned so soon…have you missed me?” He asked, grinning sarcastically. I glared at him as the alarm continued to screech overhead.

“What have you done?” I asked, walking right up to the glass, unafraid this time. Loki straightened himself up, glaring at me. “No mortal addresses me with such insolence! How dare you –”

“I thought I was more to you than just a mortal?” I snapped, cutting him off. His eyes narrowed at me, and suddenly turned a blood red. His skin began to turn blue, and strange markings covered his face as he sneered at me. I held my ground, refusing to move as I continued to glare at him. “I’m not afraid of you,” I said quietly.

Loki stared at me, his expression softening. He didn’t allow his features to revert back to their normal state, but he grinned again. “Never question my actions. Understand?” He growled. I glared at him, but nodded slowly. “Good,” He whispered, backing away from the glass panel. He narrowed his eyes at me again and studied me curiously. “Why did you come here?” He asked, “The other humans ran.”

“Like I said before, Loki, I’m not afraid of you.” I watched him as he stepped further back from the glass. Just as he did, I heard a loud roar from somewhere off in the ship; It sounded like Dr. Banner had lost control. I glanced behind me, a little worried, then turned back to find Loki right in front of the glass. He had one arm pressed against it, over his head, and he had returned to his normal state. I gasped, shocked, but held my ground.

Loki’s lips curled up into a grin and he chuckled lightly. “You shouldn’t have come here,” He hissed.

I glared at him. “Why not?” I asked.

Loki straightened up, smiled, then glanced behind me at something. He seemed quite amused by whatever he was looking at, so I felt inclined to turn around. As soon  as I did, I regretted it. We had somehow forgotten that, even without his scepter, Loki could do magic. A perfect clone of himself now stood beside the control panel. I gasped, but I knew there was nowhere I could run as the door to Loki’s cell opened behind me. The clone flickered, like a hologram, then disappeared as I felt two cold hands wrap around my waist. I closed my eyes as I felt him lean down and kiss my cheek. “Thank you, darling,” He whispered, “I wouldn’t have escaped so easily if you hadn’t been here to help. Now be a good girl and show me the way out?”

Loki kept his hands on my waist as I turned to look at him. I couldn’t help but notice how his bright green eyes sparkled when I looked at them. I didn’t want to help him. I knew it would end badly, but at the same time…I knew I couldn’t keep him here. I started walking, shivering as Loki’s hands left my sides, and tried my best not to look behind me at him. I walked out into the first hallway, checking to make sure no one was around, and jogged down the corridor to the last door. As I turned to open it, I was horrified to see that Loki wasn’t behind me. I lost him that quickly?! I stopped for a second, until I felt my head go fuzzy, like it had when Loki had read my mind. “I’m right here, Adriana. You can’t lose me as easily as you’d like.” I looked around for a second before realizing that his voice had come from inside my head. In a way, I was sort of glad for this, because it would make sneaking by security much easier.

So, I quickly made my way to the flight deck, only to see that all hell had broken loose. The Hulk was inside, making a mess, we were under attack by Loki’s army, and Iron Man and Captain America were trying to fix engine three. I hesitated, wondering what I should do, when Loki entered my mind again. “Go back inside. Find my scepter….” I didn’t waste any time in running back inside. I went to the lab where Dr. Banner and Tony had been doing their research on the Tesseract’s location. It was almost completely destroyed, but a faint blue glow beneath a pile of rubble told me that Loki’s scepter was beneath it. I rushed over to it and tried to unbury it, but there was too much weight on top of it for me to move it. I sat back, defeated, and Loki suddenly appeared beside me. He effortlessly kicked the rocks and debris aside and picked up his scepter. He looked down at me, then leaned down and grabbed my arm, a little too roughly. I winced a little, and he let go to wrap his arm around my back, smiling at me. “You’ve done wonderfully, my darling. Now, come with me.”

He grabbed both of my hands  and dragged me along behind him as he marched out of the room. I struggled against his grip, but he was much too strong for me. As we made our way down one corridor after another, I was unable to do anything as I watched Loki kill many of my fellow agents. I cried desperately for him to let me go, but he seemed to not hear me at all. I had no idea where he was taking me, or what I was supposed to do.