Location India

There were plenty of trees and I was lucky for that. I ran and ran for miles until I was sure I was far from any civilization. I put my hands on knees as I tried to catch my breath from the run; I had never run for so long without taking a breather. I dropped to the ground exhausted and looked all around to try and figure out where I was but just looking at trees wasn’t going to tell me anything.

I climbed the closest study tree nearby and rested my back and head against the trunk before falling asleep. Not too long after I felt hands touching me and trying to grab the bag off my back. My eyes shot open as I tried to fight off whoever was touching me only to find a chocolate skinned girl my age staring at me with bright brown eyes and was shocked to see she had a tail.

She jumped back shocked to see me awake and shrunk back as I bared my teeth at her while I raised my hand with my nails protruding like claws. I gasped lightly and closed y mouth and put down my hand quickly.

“I’m sorry,” I said frowning. She still looked frightened but quickly smoothed down her brown and green dress.

“It’s fine; it’s not every day I find a camper in the woods let alone up a tree this high. I wanted to see if you were like me so I was trying to see if you had a tail but instead you cat ears!” she said holding onto her tail nervously.

“Liliana,” I said holding out my hand to her. She looked like she was starting to calm down before she smiled and took my hand.

“Rina, (Ree-nuh)” she said smiling. My ears twitched as the faint sound of a school bell echoed. Rina jumped down to another branch catching herself with her tail.

“Where are you going?” I called out to her.

“To school with other kids like me,” she yelled and began swinging to different branches. I made sure I had all my stuff before running on the branches after her. I followed her scent through the trees before stopping when there were no more trees to climb. What lie ahead of me was a huge school where many kids with tails, big ears, and in some cases some of the kids ears looked a little pointed.

I knew I would stick out easily and I noticed that they were putting on head scarves or something. Then it hit me, I knew exactly where I was judging by their clothing, and the girl’s accent. I was in India. The school bell rang again and I tensed trying to see how I could get myself in their without anyone noticing my ears.

I jumped down from the tree and heard a whistle go off. I looked up to see an older India looking man running towards me with a tail. I stood up and waited wondering what he was going to say seeing that my options were not very well weighed with running into the forest he most likely knew better than the back of his hand.

“Tuma kyā kara rahē hō? Āpa kakṣā mēṁ hōnā cāhi'ē! Tuma kyā pahana rahē hō? Jaldī sē mērē sātha ā'ō aura hama āpa ucita kapaṛē mila jā'ēgā.” He said as I scrunched up my eyebrows trying to figure out what he was saying. He began walking away so I followed him assuming I was told too. He led me to a room with a bunch of Indian clothes and waved me towards the room. I walked in cautiously and put on a blue Salwar Suit with a scarf wrapped around my head to cover my protruding cat ears.

I opened the door and let the man lead me to a big room and I walked in to find a whole bunch of kids my age sitting on the floor looking at me. There was a super tall tree in the middle of the room including a bunch of basketballs and hoops so I assumed this was a gym. The man who I guess was the teacher said something in his native language and I looked at him confused.

“English please?” I asked, he blinked before saying something to the kids behind him and the girl that ran into me earlier looked at me curiously and said something to the teacher before walking to me.

“He asked what your name is,” she said her Indian accent more defined. I looked at her confused knowing she already knew my name but I guess I would ask her later.

“Liliana Delmar,” I said, and she said my name to class. The teacher said something and she led me to floor and we sat down.

“You know if you really concentrate you’ll be able to understand any language if you put your mind to it. Just listen to his voice and really listen,” she whispered in my ear. I looked at the teacher and observed his black curly beard, light chocolate skin, dark eyes and deep Indian accent. I heard a giggle next to me and I looked at Rina confused.

“I said listen to his voice not check him out,” she whispered and I could feel my face flush in embarrassment.

“Rina since your talking would you like a go at the tree of earth?” the man asked and her face paled. I snapped my head back at the man and realized I could understand him so well it was like he was speaking English.

“Rina, I can understand him!” I whispered to her in excitement.

“New girl!” I heard the man call and I looked at him in question.

“Climb the tree until you reach the red tassel,” he said and I heard everyone gasp.

“Ok?” I said and Rina grabbed my hand.

“It’s too high,” she whispered. She looked terrified and pale; I pulled my hand out from hers and walked to the tree that was incredibly wide and tall. I felt my claws elongate as I touched the tree and used it support as I took off my blue sandals. I pushed off of my legs and began climbing the tree using all of the strength of my body.

The tree never seemed to get thinner and I felt my strength deteriorating as I kept climbing. It felt like hours before I finally saw the red tassel but it was hanging on the tip of a branch. Bastards. I climbed on the branch and felt my nerves climb to my throat as the branch got narrower. I swiped at the tassel as I clutched onto the branch.

I missed and felt my body loosen on the branch a bit. I tried to steady myself and made the mistake of looking down and my heart stopped for a second. I was never scared of heights but then again never had I been so high I couldn’t see the floor. I reached for the tassel again and could feel my finger tips brush it lightly. I let go of the branch and grabbed the tassel safely. I put the tassel in my mouth and began my decent downwards.

Halfway through my arms and legs were burning, I turned my body so I was facing downwards and began running down trying to make sure I wouldn’t fall or stop running. I saw the bottom of the floor approaching as everyone cheered. I felt myself slip before gravity began to pull me down causing a lot of people to scream. I was able to turn my body in time to fall on my hands and feet and roll pushing all of the force from the fall into the roll.

I stood up and took the tassel out of my mouth and give it to the teacher as everyone cheered. I walked away towards the double doors as the bell rang. Everyone patted me on the back and gave their congrats to me. Rina eventually found me and grabbed my rest which I quickly swiped away hissing in pain.

“Sorry, I should’ve known a fall like that would still hurt even if you rolled out it.” Rina said backing away. She led me to the nurse’s office and wrapped my hands.

“Are there other schools like this?” I asked suddenly as we made our way towards the lunch room where they were serving everything that a vegan would eat. “This would take getting use too,” I thought while picking up a banana.