5: iris

The day had finally come: my day off. Much to my frustration, I would be spending it in the helicarrier, not in the city, or even just in my apartment. But hey, it was something. My room in the carrier wasn't so bad. The point was that I was off. I left a box of food and a note for the captive the night before so I didn't have to worry about him and no one else would go in there. I really hoped they didn't.

I had taken to lounging in bed for as long as I could. I woke up and read for about an hour, then went back to sleep. I had no idea what time it was, and I was fine with it. In fact, I was finding peace in being able to ignore the schedule taped to the back of my door.

Disturbed by the running and yelling outside my door, I rolled over onto my side with a sigh. The noise died out, and I was asleep again. It happened again five minutes later though, followed by a rap on my door. I stood up and trudged over to the heavy door. I fumbled at the knob until it opened, revealing two other agents whose names I could not and would not force myself to recall. "Yes?" I sighed. "What?"

"The captive!" The tall blonde one almost shouted over me, cradling his friend in his arm.

His friend with the swelling lip and eye. Aw shit.

"What about him?" I groaned, leaning against the door frame.

"Well," The swelling brunette laughed softly. "He proved you right: only you should be allowed in there."

"What did you do!" I yelled, standing upright.

"I, uh, was told to check on him." He replied, his small smile falling.

I threw a "you've gotta be shittin' me" into the air, pulling my eye mask off and tossing it to the floor. I grabbed my card and ran to where he was held, arm strapped over my braless chest. But the card thing wasn't an issue. Four men stood right inside of the open door with guns aimed perfectly at the captive.

"Get out or God help me I will shoot you in your tiny heads!" I screamed, shocking all of them. They bolted out with all the dignity they could muster and I shut the door, going to stand outside the cell. The captive was stood, shoulders hunched, hands clenched, teeth gritted, seething. All normal, except his eyes were shut. His heavy breathing was controlled. He didn't want to be angry. He was otherwise silent, and very still. I tapped on the glass, but he knew I was there.

"I'm sorry," He choked out, almost yelling but he caught himself.

"What's going on?" I asked, my voice low through the anger making itself prominent in my temples. I told Fury, and I told Steve. They never listen.

He sniffed, one unclenched hand running under his nose. "I don't know."

I stepped inside, standing in front of him. "What do you mean?" De-escalation, de-escalation.

He shook his head, eyes opened and staring behind my head at the doors.

"They're gone. They won't come back." I reassured, stepping closer. He didn't flinch this time. I took a seat on the floor at his feet. "Now, what do you mean?"

He glanced down at me then quickly looked back up at the doors. His jaw unclenched. "I'm not fuckin' sittin' with you."

"That's fine. Now, one more time, what happened?"

"I got scared, that's all." He bit back as he sat down in front of me, eyes glued above me. Liar.

"Of what?"

"Of- I don't know. I thought you would be coming in, not him. I'm sorry." That apology was bordering on sarcastic. "I didn't want to hurt anyone." That part wasn't.