.5 hey winter

The team and I were settled right outside of Gehenna, the Hydra base in New Zealand. Our uniforms weighed us down, the helmets left us drenched in sweat, but our mission distracted us.

I spoke, quiet and measured. "We go in on my count." Then, making sure we were safe to advance, I counted them down slowly. I got to one; the steel doors to the base were shot off and we stormed in. My now booming voice commanded my team as they ran in every direction. Sirens bellowed and Hydra soldiers attacked, but we had a plan, they didn't. Bodies dropped around me as I ran. My mission was different from theirs. They fought, I apprehended.

Gun powder filled the stuffy air, lit up by red flashing lights. Our opposition collapsed, leaving me less space to run. I located the control room and bolted in. My hands hovered over the various switches and buttons; I remained careful not to bump into the knocked-out, slightly bloody men on either side of me. Finally, I found the electricity switch and shut it off, leaving me in the dark. I pulled out my Maglite and ran back into the hall, noting my intended destination from the map on the wall. I got to the cells in under a minute with my men still fighting, winning.

His restraints had to have been connected to power, he was bound to be out. I  rounded the corner, my nose almost against bumping into his back. The metal-armed machine was out of his cell, anger etched across his face as he looked over his shoulder at me. He turned and sized me up. He swung, I parried. I kicked his gut, then his temple and knocked him over. He tried to get back up, but I kneed him back down. A shock of fear formed in his expression but vanished just as soon as it came.

I drew out my handgun and held it to his bleeding temple. My team released a noxious gas as the last defense. Like mine, his mask kept him awake. I yanked it down as he struggled under my hold, even with the gun against his head.

"Hey Winter," I smiled. The gas filled his lungs as he gasped for air. His body went limp under me. "You're coming with me now."