Lady for a Day (1933) - Film

Quick Summary: A fun, light film - with some really excellent acting.

Title: Lady for a Day

Release: 1933

Director: Frank Capra

Starring:

May Robson (Apple Annie)

Warren William (Dave the Dude)

Ned Sparks (Happy)

Jean Parker (Louise)

Guy Kibbee (Judge)

Lady for a Day is a typical Capra romp made all the brighter with wonderful acting and cinematography.

Annie, an impoverished alcoholic, has a secret - when she writes to Louise, her daughter, Annie claims to be a wealthy socialite living in the fanciest luxury hotel in town. Louise, who has been raised in a Spanish convent, hardly remembers her mother and believes Annie's stories. But Louise is growing up, and when she announces that she is going to bring her fiancé to meet her mother, it looks like Annie's plots are all about to unravel.

Fortunately, Annie has a few good friends - Dave the Dude, his sidekick Happy (played by the always-grumpy Ned Sparks) and a pool shark known as "the Judge". They conspire to ensure that Louise and her high-class fiancé won't find out that Annie has fallen into poverty.

This is a fun film with excellent acting; Robson was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her performance here. The other actors also do praiseworthy work. The plot is light, but very enjoyable, with an appropriately funny script. The cinematography is bright, crisp, and never overly-clever or precious. In short, this is a movie worth seeing.

Originally Written: October 5, 2011