Missing Her

Scarecrow's P.O.V
_________________

At some point during my flight, I slowed to a walk. That failed to stop everything's blur. My surroundings still didn't register in my mind. I felt guilty for what I had done. I probably hurt Glinda's feelings, yet pride kept me from returning and apologizing to the good witch. I knew she meant no harm. She simply offered for Dorothy to return home, and after a bit of convincing, Dorothy chose to return. That's not entirely Glinda's fault. Right? Then why is it that I still feel so much anger towards her- ow.

I looked up, noticing that I had finally come to a stop, said stop coming in the form of my running into an object. I recognized the object in front of me. It was a large, green door, covered in darker green swirls. However, currently, it was scratched up and damaged. I remembered exactly what had happened to it. The monkeys did it when... Never mind, I don't want to remember. This was the door that led to the room I had spent most of my time in, where I had built the rainbow mover to get my Dorothy back. It was a project started long before the Jester came to knowledge. The Jester's appearance only drove me to hurry, and this rush successfully made my work sloppy. I'm lucky that it had even worked in the first place. It shouldn't have.

I pushed the door to open it. It did, however not without a bit of sass. I gave a half-hearted chuckle to it as it groaned. "Don't worry girl, I'll have you fixed up in a jiffy," I told it. I didn't know if it could understand me or not, but here in the land of Oz never knew what you be sentient and what couldn't. I turned my focus into the room where I kept my invention.

Pieces of my machine littered the floor, scattered and shattered. This sight saddened me and amused me. Years of my hard work was crumpled up in mere moments, and yet even though I spent so long on it, it was still able to be crumpled up in those mere moments. Surprisingly most of the machine was still intact, or at least the main machinery was. Granted, there were wires sticking out here and there, the screens were cracked, the button torn off and discarded, but still in readily repairable shape.

Then I saw it. The only photo there was of Dorothy here in Oz. I smiled at it, happy to see her, even if it was only a cracked photograph. She looked so beautiful. One of the munchkins in Munchkinland took the picture not long after she walked out of the house that had fallen on the Wicked Witch of the East. The expression she wore, it was splendid. Her thin lips were partially split agape in her amazement at the world around her. Her beautiful blue eyes were wide in her wonder. The little freckles that danced along her darkened cheeks stood out incredibly due to the angle her head was at paired with the angle of the sun. Her blue, checkered gown seemed to sway in the wind behind her and her auburn braids followed, both beautifully weaved strands flowing behind her. Then there was little Toto, sitting in the basket she always carried around. His little black-furred head poked out of one side, with the cloth that covered the little dog matching the cloth on his owner's dress.

"I wish you never chose to leave," I said aloud, reaching out to her photo and gently grazing my fingertips against it unfortunately textured, and cool surface. "I'll bring you back once more." I continued speaking as I ran my thumb over the edge of the frame. "I promise. This time, I'll see to it myself that you stay. I feel lost without you here."

With that, I turned back around to start gathering up all the torn machine pieces, my head down so I could readjust my hat easier. It was quite large for my head, however, it looked better on me than a crown did. As I looked back, I saw my two best friends. Both of them had a look of sincere understanding on their faces though I didn't quite know why. They hadn't heard what I said, had they? "Scarecrow..." Lion started, however, I cut him with the rise my hand. I knew what he was about to say, and I didn't want to hear him say it.

"I know, I know. I should never have said those things to the witch, I need to go apologize, etcetera, etcetera." I replied to his unspoken statement as I waved my hand, trying to wave the subject off. I didn't want to deal with it right now.

"No. That isn't what I about to say. What I was going to say is," He started as he walked up to me, placing a large paw on one of my shoulders, "Well, I can't exactly say the same for anyone else, and I can't promise I'll be here all the time as I have a forest to be king of, but I will do everything in my power to help you get her back. Just give me the command, and I will try to execute it." Oh. So they had heard what I said. I felt my eyes starting to water. I blinked a couple times, partly in disbelief, partly in my attempt to not let my tears fall. I couldn't cry in front of them, I was their king... the leader of all the other leaders. I couldn't break down.

"And I too will do everything I can to get her back to you. Back to all of us, but you specifically. You love her. I can tell," Tin Man spoke, also approaching me and setting his hand on my shoulder, opposite of Lion. "Now go ahead, it's okay to cry." He was starting to tear up. "I can't say the same for Mr. Tough Guy," Tin Man looked up at Lion before looking back at me, "But I understand completely." I smiled up at both of them, the tears now running down my cheeks. I suppose I can cry in front of them. Not that I could stop myself now.

"Thank you. Thank you both." I said, trying to keep my voice from cracking too much. It didn't work. I no longer cared.