Chap 7 - Goodbyes

Malach helped me into the bath once I'd calmed enough, sitting on the edge of the tub while I relaxed in the warm water. My legs were up against my chest, arms wrapped around them as I stared at the wall. "That was me." I whispered, arms tightening around my legs.

    "Yes." he relied, staring at the bathroom floor.

    "How do you know?" I looked up at him finally, finally feeling the fog over my mind start to lift a little.

    "Because I saw it when I collected you." he said with a small frown.

    "Oh. Right."I shifted a little, leaning back against the tub as I looked down at the water. "I thought I wasn't supposed to remember anything. I shouldn't know what happened until my trial." Malach was silent long enough that I looked up at him again, finding him staring at the far wall. "Malach?"

    He was silent a moment longer before turning his gaze on me again. "Your memories came back because you're ready for your trail." he finally said, causing me to cringe a little, eyes closing as I looked away. So soon? I thought I'd have more time with him. More time to figure out a way to stay.

    "I'm not ready Malach. I don't want to leave." I whispered.

    "It doesn't matter if you wish to leave or stay Celeste. They believe you're ready to face your trail."

    "I won't leave." I said as I looked back at him. "I'm supposed to stay with you remember?"

    Malach let out a small sigh, reaching out to touch the top of my head lightly. "You can't stay here Celeste. The dreams will only continue until you go. You'll have it over and over again every time you close your eyes. Repeat every second of your death. You can't stay." he said with a small frown.

    "Why now?" I snapped out. "Only this morning I still felt like I had more time. Like I wasn't even close to meeting my quota. So why now?" I snapped out.

    "Someone believes you're ready. That something you did made up for your failure in your trail."

    "I won't go."

    "And I told you, you must." he said with a small frown. "There is no negotiating this, Celeste. You have no reason to stay now."

    "I do though. There's you." I took his hand in mine, linking our fingers as I sat up so I could face him. "How could I leave when you're stuck here?" I whispered as I watched him.

    Malach sat watching me silently, sighing as he leaned down so his forehead touched against mine. "Even if you go I'll still watch over you. I have no doubts you'll pass this time Celeste and when you do I'll watch over you." he whispered as he reached up to touch my cheek, fingers stroking over my skin.

    "It's not good enough."

    "You won't remember me after the trail. There'll be nothing to remember or miss."

    "I don't want to forget." I whispered, knowing I sounded like a child, but unable to stop myself.

    "You will." he whispered, lips brushing over mine lightly. "Dress. There's somewhere I want to take you." he smiled as he started to help me stand and step from the tub. I followed, letting him help me dress and doing the same for him before we left his apartment. The elevator stopped on another floor, Malach leading me from it and down the long hall toward a door. I opened my mouth, ready to ask what we were going to do when the door opened and Malach pulled me inside. I stumbled forward when he let go of my hand, catching my balance a couple steps into the room. I let out a gasp when I realized where he'd brought me, turning quickly toward him.