F2.D.O.S. (First Full Day of School)

Author's Note: The picture on the side is of Rick. Don't forget to comment, vote, et cetera, please.

"Good morning, Nicholas," Dad said, his coffee in one hand as he turned the pancakes on the stove with the other. "Sleep well?"

I nodded as I smoothed the hair down on the right side of my part. This wasn't necessarily my first day at this school, seeing as how I went half of the day on Friday, but today was my first full day. I wanted to look charming and approachable.

Taking my seat at the kitchen table, I pulled out my phone and saw the text my mom sent me, just like the one she sent every single day that she was not home. 'Good morning, Sweetheart. I'll be home soon, and I love you.' I deleted the message and stuffed my phone back into my pocket. She should be home making sure that I had everything that I needed, but she wasn't. She was overseas, trying to secure a deal for her investment firm.

Rick slid into his chair across the table from me, looking like hell on legs. His hair was a brown mass of half-curls, half-waves, and he looked like he had thrown on anything in his wardrobe. He didn't have to get up as early as me, but Rick was the placeholder for Mom when she was gone.

I tried my hardest not to chuckle at how lost he looked with his head in his hands. "Morning, Rick," I said, clicking my tongue on the "ck."

He looked around for moment before he saw me across from him. He scowled and buried his head in his arms. "Nicholas, don't be ridiculous," he sang in a low voice. He was so far gone, I wasn't even sure if I wanted him behind the wheel to drive me to school.

I grabbed a pancake from the plate that Dad put between us, and biting my bottom lip to stop giggling, I put it on his head.

"Nick…" Dad started, but started to laugh when he realized how hilarious he looked.

"Pancake Head, eat so we can leave," I said.

"Huh?" He opened his eyes and looked upward, seeing the pancake dangling over his forehead. Without even thinking, his eyes turned to me, and he narrowed them. "I could use my temporary mom powers to ground you, you know that?" He pulled the pancake from his head and put it onto his plate. "Luckily, I washed my hair last night, so I'm all clear."

"Blaaah!" I shouted as Rick stuffed the entire pancake into his mouth and chewed way too slow for effect. "That's disgusting."

"Disgusting is my second middle name after awesome of course."

We ate although I almost puked a few times thinking of how Rick rolled all over his pillow, and Rick was a slobberer. I knew that from a few times of sleeping next to him and waking up with my face inches from a pond. He could have washed his hair three times yesterday, and that wouldn't change anything. He had eaten bacteria and nastiness on a pastry.

I got into the passenger seat and waited for Rick to get into the driver's seat. I closed my eyes after a few minutes, hoping to get some extra sleep, when I heard the unmistakable sound of balloons.

I turned and watched as Rick stuffed balloons covered in a white plastic cover into the back. He grinned and gave me a thumbs up before getting into the driver's seat and starting the car.

"What are those for?"

Rick shrugged, his lower lip sticking out. "Just for, uh, someone that I care about a lot."

I smiled and elbowed him. "I didn't know you had a girlfriend, Ricky. When can I meet her?"

He rolled his eyes as he looked out of the rear view mirror. "I don't have a girlfriend, Nick, and if I did, you'd be the first to meet her. I don't have to worry about you stealing her from me." He smiled with his tongue sticking between his two teeth.