CHAP I | The Book

Rose Kirkland was sitting in her armchair, in front of her fireplace. She was happily reading some of her classics- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Rose elegantly picked up one of her teacups and sipped quietly. She released a quiet sigh of content and stared at the fireplace.

"It is rather nice today," she thought to herself. But something felt off. She adjusted her glasses and turned in her chair, looking out the window. Snow gently fell from the sky, and Rose sighed in content. However, her peaceful thoughts were disrupted when she saw a shadow move across her windowsill. Frowning, she stood up, putting her beloved book on the side table and started moving towards the window.

She didn't want to open it of course, after all- it was winter. Who knows what mess all those lovely snowflakes would make, and it did look quite cold outside. Rose shivered slightly as she approached the window. Looking outside,and Rose was quite sure somebody would slip if they tried running across her window sill. She shook her head, it may have just been a bird flitting across her window, she looked down at the windowsill to prove her logical point. 

There was a footprint on her windowsill.

Rose felt alarmed; was there a burglar trying to rob her? She dashed inside and reached for her telephone to call the police, but was stopped when she felt something on her shoulder. Rose gave a yelp of alarm, turning around to see somebody clad in black. Using her instincts, she lifted her foot and tried kicking the person, but the person successfully dodged her attack.

"Rose! Calm the hell down!" the person cried out, lifting their hands in a 'please don't hurt me' form. Rose paid no attention to the statement and quickly picked up the closest thing to her- which was a very heavy dictionary.

"Put your hands in the air, or I hit you," Rose threatened, huffing. The person clad in black removed the black hood and some fluffy blonde hair popped out, causing Rose to widen her eyes in bewilderment.

"Amelia?" Rose asked in disbelief, still holding the dictionary.
"Yeah, it's me!" the fluffy blonde-haired girl replied, pouting. "I can't believe you didn't recognize me!"

Rose sighed in relief as she dropped the book back on the table, realizing that it was just Amelia Jones, the personification of the U.S.A. Rose then creased her eyebrows, wondering now why Amelia was in a burglar get up.

"Why are you dressed like that?" Rose demanded, putting her hands on her hips. After all, Amelia did give her quite a fright.
"Oh? I visited Sakura's and I got to learn martial arts! I'm now a ninja!" Amelia said, her eyes sparkling. She struck a pose, while Rose narrowed her eyes.
"That doesn't give an excuse for acting like a burglar and breaking in my house!" Rose scolded.

Amelia rolled her eyes, and was about to make a remark when there was a small knocking on Rose's door. Rose frowned, made a 'stay there' look, and approached the door. She opened it to see Sakura, carrying quite a heavy book.

"Ah, Konichiwa Rose-chan," Sakura said with a small smile. "I hope we are not bothering you." Rose smiled in return, happy at her friend's presence. Ah Sakura Honda… one of her  sensible friends. Providing she a lot of nations to call 'friends'.
"Oh, you're not bothering me at all," Rose replied cheerfully, but then widened her eyes. "Wait, 'WE?' " she exclaimed, scaring Sakura a little bit.

"Sakura and I wanted to pay a visit!" Amelia stated, popping up behind Rose and grinning behind her. Rose looked at Sakura, then to Amelia. She then looked back to Sakura, then back to Amelia with an incredibly annoyed face.
"Then why the bloody hell did you break in when you could've come with Sakura?!" Rose asked crossly.
"Hey, I just wanted to show you my new ninja skills," Amelia replied pouting.