Chapter 8 - Dinner with the Devil

And we're officially back! Maybe not better than before, but we're gonna try. Sorry it's been a million years. We've been busy and, if I'm honest... we forgot about this poor story. But here's chapter eight. Please enjoy! Comment, and vote! We need the encouragement before we go AWOL again :p 

After the mini football games had finished and the children were loading up into their parents minivans, Corey and I wandered back into the sports hall to pack up. It had only just turned three so the sun was still burning hot, and I'm pretty sure my face was tomato red from running back and forth all day.

"How is he your brother?" I asked.

The conversation had stopped then and there and we had resumed our professional positions as volunteers.

"Twin brother, actually."

"How are you twins?!"

He chuckled at my remark. "I don't know, we just are."

"And why do you let him treat you like shit?"

"Because Jared always gets his way. I've learnt to deal with it." He bent down to pick up the last football before we heading indoors. The sports hall was significantly cooler than outdoors and I felt myself exhale a sigh of relief. Covered in my own sweat, I was tempted to lay down on the cool sports hall floor, but by the looks of it, it didn’t look too clean.

“What do you mean?” I asked, curious.

He puffed out a breath of air, “Just in the house and that, he gets his way with things.” 

I nodded. “But you don’t have to let him treat you like shit though," I pointed out.

He shrugged, “It’s easier if I let it slide.” 

I frowned, it was wrong of Jared to treat his brother like that. They were meant to be family - twins. “Still, he’s your twin, he shouldn’t treat you like that.” 

“Maybe, maybe not," he mumbled. He walked over to the stock cupboard and placed the bag of balls in before shutting it and locking up.

“Well, for the record I think you’re a cool guy,” I told him as we left the sports hall.

He gave me a smile, flashing his sparkling white teeth, “Thanks, you're not too bad yourself.” 

“Admit it, I’m the coolest person you’ve met.” 

He chuckled, shaking his head. “I’ve met better.”

Faking hurt I pretended to wipe an imaginary tear away. “That cut me deep, Corey," I sniffled to make it more believable.

He placed a hand over his heart. “I’m sorry Dakota, please accept my apology," he pleaded.

Resisting the urge to laugh I carried on with the dramatic act, “If you're truly sorry then please admit that I am the coolest person you’ve met.”

“Dakota, you are the coolest person I’ve met," he announced.

“Don’t get so dramatic, Corey,” a new voice said. I looked up to see Jared. What was he doing here? I looked around to realize that were no longer inside the school premises.

“What you doing here?” I asked, irritated that he could treat his brother like dirt. 

He winked, “Well, I came to see you of course.” 

I raised an eyebrow, “Really? How you know I was here?” 

"Your brother told me. He came in the restaurant earlier."