Chapter 2 - Grease

Picture: Dakota and Amber ---> 

*

I shifted uncomfortably in the cheap plastic chairs that the school had set in rows for the performance of Grease. If you ask me the whole concept of falling in love with someone over the summer is complete crap.

I still can’t believe that Amber had managed to get me to sit with the rest of the audience waiting for the curtain to rise. She pulled every stunt in the book in order to get me to come and watch her play the star of the performance - Sandy. She did deserve the star roll - she was a pretty good actor. She did manage to act the part to get me here.

“Please come Dee,” Amber pleaded, her eyes tearing up.

I sighed, exhausted from saying the same line over and over again. “But don’t want to!"

Her lips formed the perfect pink pout - perfect from years of practise - and puppy dog eyes.

“P-please?” She asked, staring up from her hands and knees that she had fallen to during her begging me.

I groaned, “Don’t give me those eyes Amber! You know how much I hate them."

Her face remained the same desperate expression knowing that I was beginning to crack. “Please, Deeeeeeee."

Shaking my head and pulling my hand from her grasp I continued my protest on not setting foot in that school again.

“I don’t think Mr Taylor would appreciate me on his school’s premises,” I chuckled, thinking of the expression his face would mask into at my appearance at the school.

“Since when did you do anything to make him happy?" She grumbled.

“Never. But that doesn't mean I wanna go,” I huffed.

Tears began to cascade down her face, “P-please? For me,” She pleaded, again.

I let out a long heavy sigh before nodding my head, “Fine,” I grumbled. "For you."

She jumped up to her feet and began to scream whilst throwing herself at me. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” She screamed in my ear. I pulled her off me to try and keep my hearing.

"I'd like to keep the hearing in my ear," I muttered sarcastically.

After an exhausting two hours of pretending to care what was happening on stage the cast bowed and the curtain fell to the stage. Where the audience was clapping out of admiration and amazement at the performance, I banged my hands together because it was over - finally.

The audience filed out through two doors and I was stuck between two proud mothers who were boasting about their children's performance as a passer-by. I scoffed at their conversation before being released into the school corridor where Amber came rushing towards me in her bright Pink Ladies jacket and high-riding black trousers. She had left her heels backstage and was carefully treading around everyone with bare feet.

“What did you think?” she squealed.

"Well, I didn't know you could sing," I commented.

"So you enjoyed it?"

"Sure."

"Oh I'm so glad!" She grabbed and squeezed the tops of my arms before running back down the corridor and disappearing into a door. But before I could even step one foot out of the school doors of and be on my way home, Amber popped her head back out of the door.

“And don’t you think about sneaking off! We’re going to the Shakeaway!” Amber yelled out to me before again shutting the door.

I nodded and rolled my eyes, completely forgetting about going to the Shakeaway bar in town. It was a small bar which sold milkshakes from exotic flavours to your everyday favourites. The place was usually crowded with teenagers – especially after the local schools had finished for the day.