northern downpour.

last chapter

last chapter

---

"We need to talk," they're currently in the woods, sitting on the old tree trunk. Brendon's nervous, heart pounding inside of his chest. Ryan's been acting funny all day, avoiding Brendon in school, and Brendon's afraid that Ryan realized he isn't gay and he doesn't have feelings for him.

Brendon swallows the lump in his throat. "Okay," he says, looking down at the ground. It's covered in red and orange leaves. He can hear branches cracking in the distance, probably from the squirrels and chipmunks. "What about?"

Ryan sighs and rubs his face. "Don't take any of this the wrong way," he says quietly, and when he finally turns himself to face Brendon, Brendon's afraid to look at him because his eyes are already filling with tears. He's terrified that Ryan's done with him. "You're my best friend. You've always been there for me whenever I needed you and I'm so glad that we've been in each others lives since we were four years old, but," there it is. The word Brendon was afraid to hear, but he knew it was coming. He takes in a shaky breath, trying his hardest to blink away the tears. "I don't think we can be friends anymore."

He exhales and his hands are shaking. This was the end of them. The end of their friendship, then end of -

"I think we'd be better off as boyfriends," Brendon quickly turns his head to look at Ryan, his eyes red with tears, and Ryan's smiling at him. A playful smile.

"I could beat the crap out of you right now," Brendon says, wiping his eyes. "That wasn't funny, Ryan."

Ryan wraps his arms around Brendon and repeatedly kisses his cheek.

"I'm sorry," he laughs, tightening his grip around Brendon as he tries to get away. "Hey, I'm sorry. I just didn't wanna use the old fashioned way of asking you," Brendon scoffs, dropping his head against Ryan's shoulder. "So will you be my boyfriend? If not, I understand. I wouldn't wanna date me either."

Brendon kisses Ryan's neck softly before lifting his head and looking at his eyes.

"I'll be your boyfriend if you stop being mean and doing things like this. I felt like I was about to have a panic attack."

Ryan chuckles and says, "I'm sorry babe." Brendon leans in and kisses him on the lips. Ryan seems to be taken by surprise and a quiet moan leaves his mouth.

"Let's go back to your house," Brendon rushes out. Ryan pulls back and stares.

"Really?" He asks, and Brendon nods, leaning in and kissing him again. They've only had sex the one time. Brendon's been too afraid to bring it up again. "Okay, yeah. Let's go."

The two of them hurry to get in Ryan's car and he drives them back to his house, getting there in record time.

His parents are sitting in the living room watching TV when they get inside.